Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 polaris indy 600 touring. I haven't had it out on the trail yet cause i have a problem. The problem is My temp idiot light keeps coming on. It comes on exactly at the ten minute mark everytime!! I have done a few things but the more suggestions the better. Any ideas?????

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
please help

my friend has a 99 xcr 440 with same problem we thought it was air in the lines witch yours could be but ours was a bearing or seal in waterpump was broken plus now he needs new head gasket dont ride it till u get it fixed some major problems could arise:dunno:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What does it mean either way? Lets say its hot then what? lets say its not then what? I will check tomorrow for sure!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
please help

could just be a sensor or something minor i think what hes saying my friends was very hot to the touch then ran into bunch of problems

·
Registered
328 Posts
what i was saying is by feeling it after ten minutes you should be able to see whether or not its hot. because i just fabbed up a temp gauge for my indy and after ten mintues of idleing it will barely be at 100 degrees, it just seems weird that the sled would be getting up to a high enough temp to say its too hot within ten minutes unless your really beating on it

you sure your running the right plugs, and that sled doesnt have a switch to adjust the timing for certain grades of fuel like xcrs do? what fuel are you running right now?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
please help

i would agree with hawkster u will have to touch engine tommorow to see when it comes on/ my friends other xc 440 does same thing but hes hard on it sucks 2 nice 440's and both are going to the grave soon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1. not beating on it, cause its doing it while its just sitting.
2. i believe i need BR9ES plugs and i have BR8ES plugs - someone told me that it should be okay, i can pick up the right ones though to see.
3. It does have that switch you are refering to, but I have no idea what kind of fuel is currently in it. Any way to check?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
please help

im sure your not my friends does that cause he alredy has water pump broking its to hard to tell till u run it then when light comes on shut it off and feel engine keep us posted how umake out

·
Registered
328 Posts
not any real way to tell, but you should get br9es plugs in there that will help, id say drain the gas and use it in something that doesnr care the grade too much like a snowblower or watever, then put whatever fuel grade you choose and set it to the correct setting. im guessing your running 87 or 89 and have it set on on 91 so adjust that and see if it makes a difference, if you had 9i1 octane and were running it on the lower timing it would be boggy and crap

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats the weird thing, even after the temp light comes on it still runs great. The sled wants to go, there is no bogging or dying out. Just still running great!

·
Registered
328 Posts
yes but the way you have it set with the ignition timing, i believe its making it run hot, its just that if youj had it set on 91 octane and ran lower grade it would run crappy, if you had it set on 87 and ran 91 it dwould run hot, and the lower plugs dotn help im sure

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info. I will check into these things tomorrow and see if anything helps. I will post tomorrow sometime, what comes of all this! Thanks Again

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have you checked the coolant level? Is it a good mix?(check with an antifreeze tester). What do the plugs look like? Is it possible it is running lean?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
coolent level is good, its pre mix so thats ok, plugs are brand new and good still, or normal. How do i check if its lean?

·
Registered
188 Posts
coolent level is good, its pre mix so thats ok, plugs are brand new and good still, or normal. How do i check if its lean?
If it is running lean, one or both of the plugs will be a grey or whitish color. You should check the plug color at idle and at WOT. You can check it at WOT by holding it at WOT for a good 50 or 100 yards and then hitting the kill switch.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts