Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey if anyone can help much appreciated in advance. I just go my first skidoo it's a 1989 safari 470 liquid cooled. The problem is sled starts and runs mint but when I hit the throttle it just revs up and won't move. But when the skidoo is lifted on a stand and I hit throttle the track moves ??

·
Super Moderator
16,806 Posts
IT could also be a worn belt or belt that is not adjusted properly. I would start with what Nick suggests, clean the clutches, especially if there is a black ring on the inside of the primary. It wouldn't hurt to remove the belt and scrub the edges, especially if it's glazed or shiny. Use a stiff brush or green scotch-brite pad. Then set the belt deflection to spec.

That's the easiest thing to try. If that doesn't work, check the plugs for spark. Sometimes no spark on one cylinder will let you start the engine but it won't have enough power to move. It does have enough power to rotate the track when off the ground, though. With the engine running, pull one of the plugs. If there is no change in performance, that plug may be fouled or not getting electricity. If the engine dies, re-attach that wire and try the other one. The engine should be able to run on one cylinder, so if you pull one wire off and the engine dies, the other cylinder isn't working so well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks going to pull the belt off tonight and give the primary a scrub ..is there supposed to be tension on the secondary ?

·
Super Moderator
16,806 Posts
The secondary sheaves should be gripping the belt so that it is riding close to the outside of the secondary pulley. As the primary sheaves close on the belt and start pushing the belt outward in the primary, the belt is pulled into the secondary against the spring tension at a rate determined by the ramp. If your belt has no tension on it in the secondary, it's likely the spring is broken.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I'd also check the drive shaft bearing and the chain tension. If the tensioner is broken, when power is applied it will bind, for example.

Drive shaft bearing on both sides, make sure the non-chaincase side of it is greased up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts