Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 71 skidoo olympic. has anyone had any luck patching the plastic fuel tanks?
thanks,

·
Registered
482 Posts
Look around your area and see if you can find someone who can plastic weld it.
a guy brought his 76 TNT in to me and I had to have his done, because of weathering cracks.
cost him 20 bucks to have about 6 cracks fixed.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
USE AUTO BODY CLOTH AND RESIN. HAVE USED IT ON MORE THAN ONE PLASTIC TANK. CLEAN AREA REAL GOOD AND ROUGH UP WITH 100 GRIT SAND PAPER AND PUT TWO LAYERS OF CLOTH AND RESIN USE A PAINT BRUSH TO WORK OUT THE AIR BUBBLES AND YOU WILL BE GOOD TO GO. CLOTH AD RESIN IS NOT AFFECTED BUY GAS AND OIL JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET IT CLEAN. BUY THE
WAY I LOVE THEM OLD DOO'S

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the ideas.
someone has tried to weld it before i got it. but i will try to find someone else to give it a shot.
last year i patched just the cracked areas with pc7 but it failed over the summer, i will try covering the whole tank.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
. IF YOUR SAYING THE WHOLE TANK IS CRACKED THEN YOU SHOULD TRY TO FIND A GOOD USED ONE. YOU DON'T SAY WHERE YOUR FROM BUT I KNOW WHERE I COULD GET A GOOD ONE FROM HERE IN NY OR YOU COULD TRY ALSSNOWMOBILE.COM THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP. WHAT REALLY SUCKS I THREW ONE OUT THAT I USED FOR MY WORKBENCH TANK, NOTHING WRONG WITH IT JUST GOT A DIFFERNT TYPE TANK.

LET ME KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT

·
Registered
482 Posts
That figures MX, dont you know you dont throw away parts.
theres somone out there that needs'em, besides the xtra cash helps the hobby. :p

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I KNOW, BUT IT WAS TAKIN' UP SPACE THE THING THAT REALLY SUCKS I WOULD HAVE GIVIN IT TO HIM FOR POSTAGE. DAMN! REALLY HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Timing is everything.
I am located in nw pa.
I tried al's and central snowmobile last year and a local sled junkyard. i don't recall if it was that they didn't have them or they were too much $. like $100 plus my tank.
I also tried skidoo but they don't make them anymore.
i bought this sled as a basket case in the summer of 2002 and had it running for last winter. in the 80's i had a tnt(1974 i think) and am getting back into sledding now.
i have vintage tractors and am trying to get up to speed on the parts and info for vintage sleds.
thanks for the help.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I thought Dennis Kirk carried em but I checked the online catalog and nothing. I had a 73 Olmypic 340 10 years ago had a little leak and I put some kind of sealant on it but it was a real small leak. Keep that old sled going , I love bringing old machines back to life! Mine was given to me dead for 5 years, what an awesome feeling working on it and firing it up! (even though the old ones don't stay running for long before your wrenching em again !)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
NO DOUBT ON THE FEELING OF BREATHING NEW LIFE INTO OLD IRON IT KEEPS MY OUT OF TROUBLE, AND USUALLY IN THE DOG HOUSE AT HOME BUT THAT'S ANOTHER STORY,GOTTA LOVE THEM OLD SLEDS EITHER WAY. JAM, LET ME KNOW WHAT KIND OF COIN YOU WANT TO SPEND I HAVE A SUPPLYIER LOCALLY THAT SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIX YOU UP CAN ALWAY UPS IT TO YA.

LATER

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i bought a plastic welder. the question is how do i tell what material the tank is made of? abs, pp, pvc etc...

thanks,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts