Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

any one here use a plasma cutter for work or play? Im in the market for one right now. I need to do some projects on some cars that require something reliable. need some advice for the purchase of a cheap plasma cutter that gets the job done and will cut through anything that a car can throw at me.

Some ideas on some different brands and models would be cool from those with experience. I need one ASAP. Im on a budget, so please no crazy prices. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again

·
Sweet 16
1,298 Posts
the only thing with a plasma cutter is that its hard to make a straight cut unless you have a straightedge (metal) to follow along.....i think your better bet would be a oxy-ac torch because you can braze, bend, and cut.

·
Live to ride
2,682 Posts
First off, look on craigslist for a used one, always try before you buy. But cheap and plasma don't go together!

A torch would be a good investment if you think you have enough use for it.(We actually use our torch a lot more than the plasma cutter at work)

Northern Fool has a torch set for $175, plus whatever your local welding supply charges for leasing tanks.

It depends what you need to cut, but a good grinder with a pack of cut off wheels might get you by.

There are off brands out there, but they are hit and miss as far as if they work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I came across a Longevity plasma cutter for a great price and warranty. I talked to a sale rep there and they mentioned for what im wanting it for their Forcecut 42i will do the job.
Any feedback on their company?
I was skeptical bc they are china made but i saw alot of positive reviews.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use plasmas on a daily basis at work and at my shop, I work in a custom fab shop/machine shop and we have hypertherm hand op ones. they work fine for what we do there, they're 600v though and can slice up to 1" thick plate. at home I have a 110v Hobart plasma, works well up to 5/16" and anything over that I use an oxy/act torch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts