Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Mad Snowshoveler
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this is more for my friend then myself.
He is looking to upgrade from a 2003 xc sp 600 to a 2004 xc edge touring (I think that's what it is? not super sure of the exact name, its a 2up)

The good, only has 433 miles on it.
The bad...My good friend bought a 2003 2 up last year, pretty much the exact same thing with 700 miles on it. He rode it once for 15 miles, the bearings were pitted from sitting and he had to have the whole engine rebuilt. Is there any way to check to see if the bottom end bearings are pitted without a full tear down? We are most likely going to look at it tomorrow providing the guy calls back.
Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,904 Posts
If they are really pitted, you could pull the spark plugs and rotate the engine by using the primary clutch. You may be able to feel really bad pitting as the crank rotates. You may also have some rust forming and not feel a thing. I would ask the current owner how the engine was stored in the summer. If it was properly fogged in the spring, there's a good chance no rust had a chance to form. If the guy just parked it in the back yard and left it until the next time it was time to ride, condensation could easily have gotten in the crank and started rusting things. By looking at the overall condition of things and asking good questions, you should be able to get a feel for how the owner treats his toys. Good maintenance and doing the post-season and pre-season rituals should give you good confidence that the engine will last.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts