Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with my 1998 Ski Doo MXZ600 Rotax (twin). The pistons are wiped out and need to be replaced. I tore the engine down and removed the cylinder cans and pkistons. The pistons are scored but the cylinders are pretty smooth. What's my best bet, having the cylinders bored oversized with watching pistons or buying new sleeves and having a shop press the new sleeves in?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know of a shop I can have the boring or re-sleeving done? I'm on Long Island (Suffolk County), NY. Thanks. and Happy Holidays (and HAPPY SNOWMOBILING) Ken Testa

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clyinder condition

The cylinders seem pretty good. No major. scoring but I thought it would be a good idea to either replace the cylinders or rebore them 0.010 or 0.020 over for safety sake if I can find oversized pistons. Ken

·
Registered
71 Posts
If the Cylinders look good, just hone them and put new standard pistons and rings in it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It cost quite a bit to replace or bore out cylinders, if they look good i would just clean them up and put stock pistons in. On most cylinders you can use a little muratic acid and a toothbrush to clean up any deposits that the pistons left, and then if they aren't scored up you should be good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looking for iron dogs phone number

I need two sets of cylinders bored and matched to new pistons. Does anyone have a contact phone number for Iron Dog in MI I lost it. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pressing cylinder sleeves MXZ 600

How do I know if I can press out my 1999 MXZ 600 the sleeve is destroyed I looked on ebay and there are three types CI - Original barrel has a cast-in iron liner in the cylinder; liner must be bored out completely (do not try to push out the cast-in liner)
RS - Original barrel has a replacement sleeve; heat cylinder to remove old sleeve; re-heat cylinder to install new sleeve
AC - Original cylinder bore is alloy chrome-plated, Nikasil® or electro-fused; cylinder must be bored to accept new sleeve
I did not see any markings indicating . Dose anyone have any thoughts ? I want
to go this way do to availability in parts and cost in Canada

1 - 12 of 12 Posts