Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this once already, but no good replies. I'll make it simple.

TM38 carbs on a 600. I need a starting point for the pilot screw. How many turns out to start ?

·
Registered
673 Posts
1 turn out... pilot jet meeters air at idle... turning it in will run it richer, turning it out will run leaner

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Not to steal ur thread, but where would the pilot screw be located on Mikuni carbs like my sled has?

·
Registered
673 Posts
right side of carb. it is the non-knurled screw. it is a blade screw (ie not philips) and there is not a visible spring on it. it is in about the 1:30 position on the carb when lookeing from the back of the sled to the front

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
hmmm, i hope the one ive been adjusting aint my pilot, ive been thinking its my idle... the one I think my idle screw is, is on the right side of the carb, its not philiips, and has a spring around it... this is my idle screw right?

edit.. This is the idle screw rite? the one with the spring around it

Attachments

·
Registered
673 Posts
yes the one in the picture is the idle screw

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
alritee cool.. appreciate it

·
Registered
427 Posts
1 turn out... pilot jet meeters air at idle... turning it in will run it richer, turning it out will run leaner
Am I missing something?

The guy said TM Mics. I'm about 99.5 percent sure that TM = flatslide = idle mixture screw controls fuel and consequently turning the screw in (clockwise) leans mixture.

The differences between VM and TM carbs, as pertains to idle mixture setting, sure causes a lot of confusion.

·
Super Moderator
16,789 Posts
What's really confusing is that there are TM's (flat slides) with air screws and fuel screws, TM's with fuel screws only, and some of the TM's also have an air jet that can be changed in the front of the carb. Can't tell the players without a scorecard!

The pic does look like a VM round slide base and not a TM.

To the original poster, if the screw is easy to access on the TM, it's a fuel screw and should be about 2 turns out, depending on which sled (year/make) it's on. If it's got a air screw, it's not as easy to access. Pics will help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts