Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a relative newcomer to the snowmobile world, and given that I am relatively handy around the shop, I decided to take apart and clean the carbs on my 1997 Formula 500 Deluxe - mikuni round slide. Everything went well, and the snowmobile seems to run pretty well, but a buddy of mine informed me that if I did not set the pilot screws in the appropriate position I could cause engine damage. What is the appropriate position of these pilot screws? What is their function?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I assume your talking about the air screws. Most mikuni carbs are basically the same anyway. Yes if u took them out they have to be in the same position when they go back, for example on my sled they have to be 1 and a half turns out from seated. Check a manual for the sled. These screws meter the amount of fuel/ air at closed to one quarter throttle so if u have a problem at that point they need adjusting. Be careful even a quarter turn can lean the mixture enough to cause engine damage, so keep checking the spark plugs until you get it right. Also when seating them go very light on the pressure the seats are soft and could be damaged, they are not meant to be closed tight at all. Good luck

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah, its posted in the skidoo section. Air fuel and pilots or mains are totaly different. Pilot is the center jet and main is the bigger one so you will know. But like i said, take it in, dude doesnt seem to know too well and you dont want to blow it up, then he'll say he will help you fix the KAPLEWY, motors blown on a trail and your out the money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts