Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the sledding fun.

I'm currently searching for a pick-up truck to put my 01 summit 600. From the specs, its length is 116inches x 42.3inches. (9.7feet x 3.6feet)

I know there're many option of boxes.

Full size box that's 8'x4' can let my sled fit directly into it. But is that the only choice I have?

Can a 6 feet box with wheel wells width less than the width of my skis fit a sled with some modification?

I know I can remove the whole box itself & make myself a flat deck, but do anyone know how & where I can find information about this?

How about building a sled deck that goes above a 6' or 7' box. How do i build this with the ramp.

Thanks very much. Pictures will be very helpful.

& do I really need a 4x4? or a RWD will work just fine?

This Mazda B2200 is the one that I've been looking at & I can afford right now

·
Registered
482 Posts
I had the Mazda 2600, same as 2200 but just bigger motor.
anyways I had a polaris indy 650 in the back of it.
the ski on one side had to be up on the wheelwell, so what I did was I build a ramp across the wheelwell from the back to the top and then leveled to the front the height of the well.
. .
. .
. .

Kind of like that.
this helped so I didnt have to wrestle the 1 ski everytime I loaded it.
It also helps with not marking or denting the wells.

The only other option is to get a trailer.

Later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's what i wonder too. a picture would really helps. so how far does the back of the sled (track) extend off the bed tail door?

or do you build the sled deck (which goes above the wheel wells) length the same as the sled footprint?

If that is the case, does it mean that the rear window is just a bit higher than the deck level?Would the skis hit the window?

And how do you attack the ramp to the deck & how is the ramp made?

I really appreciate anyone answer this question because I can't wait to start wood building the entier setup.

-------

If ... for a 8' box that's wide enough for the skis, how does the ramp work? What is that made of & how is it attach to the back of the box or the box door?

Some pictures would really helps.

thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i have a Tacoma and my sled fits in the bed. track first it fits beautiful with tailgate open, skis first one side sits with a little slant cause a ski on the wheelwell, but it still works great. No matter what truck you get the sled will fit in there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
No matter what you go with it has to be a 4 by 4.
you don't want to be waiting for the plows on a snowy day before you head out. No worries with 4 wheel drive. IMO

·
Registered
77 Posts
A 2x4 truck should be fine with the weight of the snowmobile.As for your problem,i have a GMC Sonoma with a 6.5 foot box so i had to build a deck and a ramp.
You'll need 6 pcs of 2x6x8
4 pcs of 2x4x8
15 pcs of 1x6x8.
First remove your tailgate,
then run 2 pieces of 2x6x8 lenght ways on the inside of your wheel wells(tight to the wells)
Then start decking over with the 1x6x8 lumber.This will bring your deck almost as high as the wheel wells.
I also put a piece of 1x6x8 on the bottom at the front center and end for a little extra height.Once it's all decked over(go the full 8 feet) screw a piece of 2x6x8 across the bottom of the two pieces that stick out past your truck bed.(this is for your ramp to rest on).
You can add a piece of 2x6x8 on either side of the original 8 foot length to give it some strength.(a couple of pieces about 16 inches long screwed to either side will do)

Now for the ramp...
Build 2 ramps the same size 16 inches wide.They will be spaced,one for each ski to ride on.
Just place your 2x4x8 down and nail 1x6x8 lumber(16 inches wide)across it.You can space the lumber about 4 inches or so.
Then take a piece of 2x6x8 for the track to ride on.

If this sounds too confusing i can send you some pics.I'll try and take some tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts