Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an older Phazer with low miles but has probably never had the secondary removed. I have set the brake as strong as I can get it and used an impact driver, and even added a c-clamp to try to hold the shaft from turning but I still can't get the secondary sheave bolt to loosten. Anyone have any tricks?

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
impact in reverse won't do much, use a breaker bar

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I tried a breaker bar firstvand the brake wouldn't hold. Then I added a c-clamp on the brake disk to help but the shaft still turns before the nut break free. This thing may have never been disassembled and it's an 89. I'm thinking I can get at the other end of the shaft through the chain case to hold it while I break the nut loose?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
use a propane torch and heat the bolt. let it cool, then heat again. may take a few cycles with heat before it breaks loose, but it will. dont overheat it to a glowing orange, just moderate to slightly higher temps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
any luck? i froze my secondary sheave a year ago on my 80 yamaha srx440d and it was killer to get it apart. hope it worked out for you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts