Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just got done a top end rebuild on my 1990 Phazer 480. Also replaced the fuel and oil lines and cleaned the carbs. It runs really rough and barely has the power to take off and when it does it will only do around 70km/h. clutch side plug is good colour and the other side is black and wet. tried adjusting the screws on the top of the carb and that didn't really help. Any ideas?? The sled has been sitting for a few years till now. Cleaned out tank and put new gas in. Thanks, any help would be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy I got it from must have taken them off and lost the parts. I found one of the plungers in the belly pan this morning. Would these not connected be like the choke always being on??

·
Registered
223 Posts
The guy I got it from must have taken them off and lost the parts. I found one of the plungers in the belly pan this morning. Would these not connected be like the choke always being on??
YES - The plungers are pulled up when the choke is on allowing enrichment (fuel) to flow through. When the choke is off the plunger is closing that opening so no extra enrichment is needed. Without having plungers I'd suspect it acts like the choke is always on causing flooding to occur.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, that is what is going on for sure!! The only thing that seems weird is that when the sled is cold it won't start but if I plug the holes with say a screw driver bit, that makes it start.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Get the plungers and springs back together and screw them back into the carbs. Then see if it works normal when using the choke. The gas doesn't go in the hole your plugging with the screw driver bit. It's best to get it back together correctly and go from there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the chokes in and it still didn't fix the problem. It ended up being the coil but it will only run good when the choke plungers are removed from the carbs. Why would this be?? Also when its cold, I plug the holes to start it and when its warmed up I unplug them and it idles higher and seems to run good but I'm fouling plugs. With choke in it will do around 10mph and with them out it does around 50mph.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Something is way out of adjustment on those carbs. Just not sure what. Are you sure needles are installed and moving freely? Are you sure Floats are level? Are you sure the correct holes are plugged in bottum of carbs? And air screws on top 1 1/2 turns out! If all those things are set and correctly spect'd, there could be something broken on the carbs. I'd dissasemble everthing, main jet, pilot jet, plugs, needles, air screws, everything and spray carb cleaner into every hole, then follow up with compressed air. Then put back together, and see what you get. I just did that today to one of my sets of carbs and it seemed as though I blew something out with I used air, like blockage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cleaned the carbs really well yesterday and set everything to factory specs and put the chokes in and now it runs pretty decent so there must have been somthing in the carbs. But it still doesn't got to fast and the plugs both get hot but the clutch side is quite a bit hotter. There is a rubber plug covering a hole beside the pilot jets and I removed the plug just to see what it would do and it made it run a bit better so I'm wondering if its not getting enough air?? Seems like I've gone through everything but can't get it to go over 40mph

·
Registered
252 Posts
I' d put the plug back in. Then get some "Sea Foam". Any auto parts store should have it. My brother in-law turned me on to this stuff yesterday, its unreal. Warm sled up for about five minutes, then put 3/4 worth a can into full tank of gas, run/idle for five minutes. Shut down for five minutes, then start it and see what she does. My Phazer started coughing yesterday, late into the day, and I added some Sea Foam. I then ran it for about an hour and it cleared up whatever it was that was causing the issue. It may help your situation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still having issues with this thing. Figured out the problem of why one plug was so hot and the other is not. One of the plug caps was getting a crappy connection so I got a new one and now both plugs run around the same temp but it still will only do around 50mph. Plugs are dry and black. Anything else I can do here???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts