Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Yamaha vmax 500 (136 converted), 1999 Yamaha Vector, 1999 Yamaha Phazer, 2007 Yamaha Phazer FX
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I posted a while ago asking about a dg exhaust, because they were noticeably cheaper than other brands, and everyone said that they suck. So with that information, I started looking for better pipes, and a buddy approached me with one for 20$, so I took it. Not too bad of shape either. Anyways, I'd just like to know what kind of jetting I should do to accompany this pipe. I ride in Maine, elevation typically ranges from 0- 1500ish feet, and I do mostly trail with some boon docking here and there. I used to have a Phazer that I threw a dg on, and it sounded halfway decent. Here in Maine, I've never seen a phazer with a different pipe on, so I don't know what a PSI or Aaen sounds like in person. I would just like to know if I could run a DG pipe on my all stock Mountain Lite. If so, what jets should I use? Also I've seen people put pod filters that run out the hood, which I think looks very cool. So if anyone is a jetting fanatic over here, I would love to hear what you have to say!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Pods for air filters are one of the worse things you can do to a snowmobile, a stock airbox is always better. For jetting you really should contact the maker and ask them as they should provide some sort of beginning setup but can tell you right now you those pipes stink, bottom of the barrel compared to PSI or AAEN Pipes. Tbh usually those DG pipes are not even better then stock on some snowmobiles. Seen them make it run worse even with the jetting they said to use along with a ton of changes it just wouldn't work. Put the stock pipe back on and stock jetting and they ran great again. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
1999 Yamaha vmax 500 (136 converted), 1999 Yamaha Vector, 1999 Yamaha Phazer, 2007 Yamaha Phazer FX
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I don't mind using the stock pipe again at all, except for the fact that the sled sat for the last 8 years and she's rusted right through. I think I'll just throw the DG on, and if it runs good, it runs good, and if it doesn't, it doesn't. Otherwise I could buy a nice stockie for 120 like new on the bay or get one off of a junker.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Those were pretty common pipes so there is a lot of them out there. I even tried a DG pipe on a quad and quickly took it off. Sounded absolutely horrible even compared to the stock pipe. There is a reason they are so cheap. I have seen the AAEN pipes in action and they do help. Personally I am not a fan of piping a snowmobile at all because of how loud they can make them. Many people who allow snowmobile trails through their yards do not like them. One owner up here warned the local club and had signs put up. He finally had enough of everyone doing it and finally cut off his property. It ended up causing a 1.5 mile detour because of it. And the DNR doesn't like them either, seen people have their snowmobile impounded because of them in Wisconsin. Even saw one guy at a stop tell the DNR cop he couldn't do a damn thing because it was his snowmobile and they are legal to sell and install. Cop told him nope it has to be within a DB limit or it's illegal. It got so bad he got arrested in the end for resisting arrest and a few other charges.

Good luck but most likely you will end up with the stock pipe back on I would imagine.

·
Registered
26,229 Posts
I have a Mod for the Yamaha stock pipe!
But with jetting the DG is fine.
Any pipe or mod will require jetting!
I just wrapped up my Super stock SRV with PSI pipe and some exrta work like putting on a 44mm Mikuni!
Jetting has taken me 3 years!
It will keep up with newer 600's!
My next project all ready pulled is my Ovation with Phazer Mod motor
Then the Phazer with a heavy Mod SRV in it!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, DG makes some good pipes. They sold thousands of sets for the Yamaha RD400’s. Not flashy, but made power and sounded good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts