Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons 95 phazer ST melted the piston on the the clutch side on Saturday. We just got it apart and found that the skirt on the exhaust side was broken. The plug and top of the piston are white like it leaned out, the rings are melted on the exhaust side. My question is what should i look for as cause?? Im going to take a pic of the piston and post it would love to hear your thoughts :)

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Clogged carbs, bad carb boots, bad crank seal, jetted wrong, base gasket leak, are some likely causes.

You will replace the base gasket anyway. You will have to split the case to clean derbies from the skirt, so while you have the case split, you might as well change the cranks seals too.

Clean the carbs, and check jetting. Also replace the carb boot, if bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks yamaha440 i was leaning towards the crank seal. The carb boots are good the jetting was spot on carbs where cleanned two weeks ago. We had the bottom end done 500 miles ago i think mabey the crank could be out of balance because all seals and gaskets are new....thats all i can think of wonder if i should look for a new crank before i rebuild

1 - 3 of 3 Posts