Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats like the cheapest and best way to add like performance to a sled? I am looking to modify my sled a bit to give it more power.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
Get a new one

If your looking for more power, i suggest you seriously look into a different sled, pipes are fine but then you have to clutch it ne ways, the best thing i would think of is a clutch kit, but i know here in canada they run around 200-300$. Once you start putting parts on a sled that size you might as well as bought a larger displacement. I've also looked into pipes and i've noticed people sayin on a really small sled, a fan cooled one anyways, they can reduce performance. Some things i would do with your 440 is look into UFO's for the roundslide carbs, i hear they work quite well and if your sled has them reeds are good too. The only pipe i would put on would maybe be an exhaust can, and make sure if you do anything you set your clutching up correctly and watch your plugs, keep em more rich rather than more lean, you'll have less chance of getting into trouble, there might be soome performance left on the table but its better than rebuilding your entire engine. hope i helped.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah my sled is pretty old...at first i was actually looking for like a 1998 or 99 ZR 500 or 600... but around here they got way to expensive. My sled right now is liquid cooled, and ive been lookinh for parts for it. Either pipes or clutch kits would be worth it...but im not sure what to do because i know if i dump money into a sled older like mine chances are that i wont get my money back out of it. I was just hopin to do some custom work, like even cosmetically wise.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a 97 zrt 600 . I started mods in 2000. So far its got (in order) reeds, clutch kit, Black Magic pipes,coldair box, offset ignition key,prolite pistons, shaved heads .015, ported. The sled rocks for a 600 but i should have put the money on a bigger sled. If you are going to mod your 440 get a clutch kit and call it a day! Save your money for a used firecat. If you pipe your sled you will need to put a matching clutch kit in it anyway

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
i'd have to agree with cazwell

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would also agree... i still have my xcr 600, but instead of trying to beef it up and having problems I just got a bigger sled.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i think i might actually leave it the way its, and like maybe like in 2 years when im a senior i can get like a used firecat. How much are you guessin for like the oldest firecats now will be in 2 years

·
Registered
228 Posts
i have a firecat 700 and it goes just fine i have raced it but i do maintain it well. it all depends on the mileage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts