Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang.. im considering buying a sled for parts for a 1999 grand touring 583.. parts sled in question is a 1994 summit 583.. tracks are both 136in so theres a start... on my GT i have a grinding noise.. i think its the jackshaf bearring.. the disc would also need replacing.. the engine in mine needs a top end as well... all i know from the summit is it runs.. are the parts i listed compatible from one machine to another?? i did some looking around.. parts sites online show different part numbers machine to machine so im guessing no.. but i dont really wish to pass seeing the price is good ( 500$, with paperwork)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im mmore opting for scavenging what i need and sell the rest in parts.. im pretty sure id be able to break even.. just.. for the work involved im hoping to get what i need to get my GT in full swing.. could always see if it nets a small profit and buy the other parts for mine too i suppose

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
A lot of a big changes happened between those years. The 1994 has the PRS suspension vs the S10 of the 1999.

Grinding noise is undoubtably the drive shaft bearing going out. Those particular years were notorious for that. (I've replaced 2 out of the 3 sleds I had). Catch it early enough and you won't have tunnel damage.

Does the 1999 have DESS key? The 1994 didn't. They won't have to many inter-changable parts if it does have DESS, but top end should be okay. The 1999 will have a different stator and possibly different timing spots. The summit is narrower, so front end parts are hit and miss of what will work. The trailing arms will look different, but actually might be the same length and position.

Personally, I'd be inclined to swap the motor over all in one piece even if the newer one has DESS. You could then scrap the problematic older DESS system. However, it should be noted that the Summit will have HAC on it and probably doesn't work anymore. You should be able to just swap carbs, but if they don't match up (same size), then a HAC delete is not difficult to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts