Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this used engine I purchased several years ago. The crank seals are leaking. My problem is that I do not know what year or model sled this engine came out of. I was there when they pulled it, and I believe it was an SKS. However, I don't know the year. I tried contacting Polaris, and although the did try to help, the really couldn't give me much more info.

Can anyone tell me how I can find out what are the appropriate crank seals to use in this motor?

Thx in advance

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
If its OEM seals it should but a lot of aftermarket seals don't put numbers on them especially the cheap ones.

·
Administrator
18,864 Posts
It shouldn't matter much. Fuji used the same crank seal on MANY engines from 1985 even into the 2000's.

Look up Polaris pn 3083045, it should be the seal(s) you need (both ends of the crank used the same seal.) The Japanese were crafty that way ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi ,
It's EC50pl-01. I also thought the seals were the same for the most part. However, my 98 Classic calls for
PTO side crank seal 3085200
MAG side crank seal 3083045

The 97 SKS (which I initially thought this is what the engine came out of) also calls for these seals.
HOWEVER, the Polaris service manual for 96-98 does not list the EC50PL-01 for the 97 SKS

Maybe I'm stuck taking it apart first and seeing if there is a part number on the seals

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
The -01 I thought was a early '90s engine from a Indy 500. Think it is best to take it apart and find out what seals are in there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK... I pulled the engine, and took the bottom end apart. The crank seals that are in it, are
PTO side crank seal 3085200 (part number stamped on seal is BE5473E
MAG side crank seal 3083045 ( stamped part number on seal is AE1745P

So they are different.
The seals that my 98 classic calls for are the same (and the seals I pulled out of the original engine in that sled, which was also EC50PL17, that I toasted :( , have the same part numbers stamped on the seal.

As I was cleaning up the bottom of the Engine so I could split the cases, I found there another engine number
EC50PL17 and another number starting with '97' which I assume is the year

So although the cylinder mono block has stamped on it EC50PL-01
The engine actually seems to be EC50PL17, which is the Engine that the Polaris Service manual 96-98 says was used in the both the 97 Indy Classic and SKS 500

So I think I'm pretty sure now this used engine I bought did come out of a 97 SKS and I have the right seals now.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
No difference in the 500 Fuji engines thankfully for the most part except maybe stator or CDI and even then I know they interchange somewhat. That engine is about as reliable as they get even these days. That and the 440 Liquid from Polaris probably the two best engines they put out for a good 15 years. Plus with how many are still out there on the trails just goes to show you how good & reliable they are. I've seen the Fuji 500 and 440s L/C with 10-12K+ in mileage still with 120lbs of compression on them. I have both setups at the other house and love them. EVEN IF I ever upgrade to a Edge or M-10 setup with a 500 or 600 in it I will still keep those I have now they will be here till the day I die then who knows maybe my nephew and nieces will start out riding them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts