Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2008 polaris rmk 600. And im looking into repainting the hood. I was thinking about sanding it down, putting primer on it and using krylon spray paint to paint it and then just put a clear coat with hardener on it.
Thoughts??

·
Super Moderator
17,297 Posts
If you use paint appropriate for plastic, you should be fine. Hard paint may crack over time as the hood flexes, the paint approved for plastic will flex with the hood to avoid cracks.

Another option would be to get a wrap for it, I've seen some of those that were pretty outstanding!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I was considering a wrap but they are like $400 and I don't got that kinda cash to get one. But would auto paint turn out better than krylon??

·
Super Moderator
17,297 Posts
Not really. Auto paint, unless it's for plastic, will crack as the hood flexes. If you paint, get some of the Krylon Fusion. It's made for plastic and will hold up a lot better than paints that harden. There are probably other makers of paint for plastic if you search. I've used Fusion a few times over the years and it works ok. Sleds take a lot of abuse, especially if you like to boondock through the trees, so any paint you apply will eventually be scratched and scraped. It's just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks. But just checking if i use the fusion paint it shouldnt just crack unless in rippin in the trees or hit something?

·
Super Moderator
17,297 Posts
That's correct. That's why the need for a paint that is appropriate for plastic. Paint for plastic has more flex to it than regular automotive or other enamel paint. Any paint is going to get rubbed off or scratched off, so you may have to re-paint if that's an issue for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts