Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new to me sled (1998 Arctic Cat ZL500) is in need of a hood repaint. And since I need a new seat cover I was thinking of going with Arctic Cat Green for the hood and some green in the seat cover. And then some nice graphics for the hood. Has anyone done something like this? I'm looking for ideas here, anything will be appreciated!

· Registered
3 Posts
Painting hood

I would use automotive grade paint or if you want to change it up plasti- Dipping also works great but, doesn't last as long(2-3 seasons)

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. I finally got the hood painted. I stayed with black so everything still matches. however I added green stripes to the front hood recesses and at the side rear recesses. I also added some green and orange pearl to the black to go with the Arctic Cat colors.

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The white specs are polishing compound dust, I still need to clean it up.

I kept the paint under the windshield/cowl area, I didn`t paint the back of the hood where the gauges and operating decals are because the paint was in very good shape and I wanted to keep the decals! I was able to blend it along the edges pretty good.

I ordered some custom ZL 500 decals for both sides of the hood and an Arctic Cat decal for the front edge. I`m debating on maybe an Artic Cat symbol for the hood, anyone think that may be too much?

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dan! It's not quite perfect, has a couple of fish eyes, but it did turn out very nice. I'm happy with it, much better than the peeling clear coat I got it with! There was a screen on the left side of the hood (by your knee) I painted that orange. When I get the time I'm going to get some wire mesh and make some screens covers for the 8 hood openings and paint those orange too!

Tomorrow I'll get the windshield and headlight back on and get another pic.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
That's cool. I like the flake you added. That will really pop on a sunny day. Really nice work.

What type of prep work did it need? A good amount of sanding?

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! Skier, yes I had to sand just about all of the clear coat off as most of it was peeling off. Once that was sanded I primed it and then wet sanded the entire hood. After that it was just spraying it, masking for the stripes and then clearing it. I wet sanded the clear to get rid of the dust particles. Like I said it isn't perfect, but much better than what I had!

Now to get the whole thing put back together. My seat cover and decals should be here today!

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. Here it is all done except for the ZL stickers, I ordered them wrong and they came in lower case. I'll have to reorder. Now I need to get it back on and all hooked up and make a new cable to hold the hood open!

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure I'm too crazy on the 2 tone shadow look, but my son and daughter say it looks nice! I'm going to reorder the ZL stickers in a different font. Those will go down in the lower rear of the hood.

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is the seat cover. It looks pretty nice. The quality looks to be very good! I'll let you know how it fits, I'm installing it hopefully this Sunday!

I got it from a place called MFG Supply. Decent price too. $90 inc. shipping.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
Looks really sharp! Looking forward to pics of the final product.

I've ordered from them before. They have good replacement parts. I have one of their belts and a set of sliders on my Puma.

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All done! Just a couple minor pieces left. Still have to repainted the trim around the steering. I'm thinking about green?

Here it is!

I still need to buff out the sides of the tunnel. Other than those 2 things it should be ready!

Now on to the Ski Doo!

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! No it was very easy. The only PITA part would be removing the entire seat gas tank assembly! But I had it all disconnected and ready to go. You just need to make sure you have the material started at the front first, and then stretch it back from there!

· Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well here are the new ZL stickers. They look just right!

And the painted steering shroud. I like the green look!

As of right now its all ready to go. I think I`ll start it tomorrow. add some fresh gas and top off the oil!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.