Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Long Live Triples!
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good paint to use to repaint my rear suspension and front A arms. The current paint is flaking off and rust is forming. I plan on getting them sandblasted first. I'm looking for a candy red color

thanks

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
just use lots of coats of primer.
painting is 90% preparation, 10% paint

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
It's from the snow, weeds, rocks, etc. hitting them. If you want something that will withstand, powder coat it.

·
Long Live Triples!
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what paint would you recommend if i didn't go the powder coat route.

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
Any good paint will be equal. Like said above, prep work will be the big deal and cleaning up rust, etc.

·
Long Live Triples!
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im assuming no rattle can paint?

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
I use rattle can paint a lot. As long as it is prepped right, it will hold. If you clear coat it, make sure it is compatible or it will peel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
try using undercoating that you would get at an autozone in a spray can, it will withstand constent abuse, and you can get it in different colors

·
Long Live Triples!
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got a quote from the local coater,
$25 per spring for the front
$150 for the rear suspension not including rails
$192 for the rear suspension including the rails

sound reasonable?

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
that sounds like something you could do yourself and save $150 on

·
Long Live Triples!
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
viking,

what paint and primer would you recommend?

·
Breaker of Balls
313 Posts
i have absolutely no idea dude, ive never painted anything myself. but my friends do often, and it usually costs about $50 if they buy the supplies and do it themselves.

·
Hank Scorpio
112 Posts
What would be a good paint to use to repaint my rear suspension and front A arms. The current paint is flaking off and rust is forming. I plan on getting them sandblasted first. I'm looking for a candy red color

thanks
For the steel parts use Rustoleum rust reformer. It turns rust into primer and makes it a primed paintable surface. Another trick I use on steel parts is to take a torch and warm them up. It makes the steel porous and gets all the moisture out. It really makes the paint adhere better. Hope this helps!

·
Sledaholic
135 Posts
For all the time and prepping you'll have to put into painting them the right way you should honestly check around for other powder coaters, because if you do the break down it ends up being cheaper with a far better result. I asked our local private guy who does my powder coating and he quoted me prices about 1/2 of what your guy did.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts