Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can torn and cracked carb boots cause overheating? Last year i was overheating on my 1996 xcr 600 only when i was riding hard. under normal trail riding i was not having that issue. under overhaul this year like every year i pulled off my carbs for cleaning and noticed my boots were in cracked and split shape. i have replaced them and was woundering if that would solve my over heating issue. thanks for your time. let it snow

·
Super Moderator
16,791 Posts
I guess it's possible that the cracked boots led to a lean condition when riding hard. Lean burning is hotter, therefore the coolant would have to work harder to get rid of the heat, so in theory, lean burning could create coolant temps that would make the light come on. If that's the case, you're lucky, usually the lean condition melts the top or the exhaust side of the aluminum piston.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well so far so good i still have good compressing on all cylinders so i guess i got lucky there. thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
and here's a picture of my PTO side piston... this happened when I was riding with a busted oil/water pump belt. Fortunately, this was on the exhaust side and all the shavings melted to the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
328 Posts
well first check your intake and exhaust for leaks like others had mentioned, and does it have a temperature gauge, that could help you monitor it so you know when to get to some powder or shut it down. but if you notice its still getting to hot, you mught want to try jetting it a tad richer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts