Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone....I am new here so please take it easy on me!

Anyway, I am looking to buy my first new sled. I am looking for a nice trail riding sled and have all but snow checked an '05 550 Super Sport with the M10.

I do know that it is a fan cooled sled. I guess my questions are what are the positives and negatives about this machine and how does the fan cooling affect it vs. a liquid cooled? For the price of what I'd be paying, I don't think anything else comes close!

What do you think?

Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Fan cooled vs liquid colled

A fan cooled machine will be lighter than a liquid and takes less warm up time,but won't run as good when the temp goes up.A liquid takes longer to warm up when cold but as the temp rises you should see no change in performance.
The cooling system on a fan cooled machine is basically maintenance free,but you could have problems with a liquid cooled.Coolant lines need replacing,you could bust a heat exchanger,you could encounter leaks in the system.
I've also heard that a liquid cooled engine will last longer than a fan because it runs at a cooler temp.
Each has pros and cons but it comes down to what you want.As you have already mentioned the price is also a key factor.You aren't going to get a liquid cooled for the price of a fan.

Hope this helps.Let us know what you decide on,and remember have fun.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As my interest in buying a used sled increased, I started browsing EBay. I discovered that the Trail Indy really holds its value and commands a steep price. Could this be because they’re so good a machine? Lot's of triples for sale and newer expensive machines also. Try finding a newer low mileage Trail Indy and you will be paying a premium price. Many people bid on these sleds. If you can find a good used one under $1,500 - grab it. That's if you do mainly trail riding. Don't know what they are getting them for new? :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
A fan cooled will not have as much power or top end speed as a liquid, but they still have quite a bit of power. i have a 2003 pro-x 440 fan and i love it. it has plenty of power but it does have trouble when it gets up there in temp. i race my sled in sno-x and i can beat some of the liquids too so it has nice power and it is pretty low maintainence.

i hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts