Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
left one is closest to ideal burn. looking for that cardboard brown color. The others look rich. You can see they're black and slightly oily

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are the steps involved to get that color? Standard jets and carb settings are being used right now. Could it be an electrical thing regarding spark? Boots look fine to me. Not sure how I can go about fixing this?

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
sync the carbs, never used amsoil but a lot of ppl on the banshee forums complain of it for this reason, IMO jetting is a lot like life, it's always good to be a lil rich

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
make sure the slides open and the same time and bottom out at the same time

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
the one on the left is what you want all of them to look like. the center one is lean, the one on the right is almost as lean. white or ashy gray color is on the borderline for burndown.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
the one on the left is what you want all of them to look like. the center one is lean, the one on the right is almost as lean. white or ashy gray color is on the borderline for burndown.
the middle and right look black/dark dark oily brown to me? the reflection kind of comes off as grey but I think thats just the reflection?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
the middle and right look black/dark dark oily brown to me? the reflection kind of comes off as grey but I think thats just the reflection?
not going to get into a debate here, but are you looking at the ceramic portion of the electrode as well as the center electrode and the side electrode? i would say the build up on the body of the plug was the product of 300 miles, but what i am seeing is a distinct white and gray colors on the important part of the plugs: the electrodes. if thats a reflection(and i do have my reading glasses on), then the original poster needs to submit some less reflective, more accurate photos?

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
I agree with JKsled, those are rich the reflection on the flash from the oil residue comes off as lean but look at the surface of it is fare from smooth like it should be it's full of residue

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
also are the plugs in order from pto being left

·
Registered
673 Posts
if they arent white or fouling then i'd just run it the way she is

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
im with yamadad.. the middle one looks white

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
not going to get into a debate here, but are you looking at the ceramic portion of the electrode as well as the center electrode and the side electrode? i would say the build up on the body of the plug was the product of 300 miles, but what i am seeing is a distinct white and gray colors on the important part of the plugs: the electrodes. if thats a reflection(and i do have my reading glasses on), then the original poster needs to submit some less reflective, more accurate photos?
Yes I am.
And yes I agree, after seeing two more posts with conflicting opinions, we might need some new photos to clear up the confusion

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
I'm thinking if the brown ones the pto side you mite be starting a air leak on a boot or a seal, and the jettings just set a lil rich from the factory anyways

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They are not in any particular order. The middle and right are not gray or white, but rather black and oily as compared to the left one. I have cleaned them up so I cannot post more pictures. Having said that the middle and right are a little black and oily, how do I go about fixing the problem?

·
Super Moderator
16,804 Posts
How is the sled running? If it runs fine, a little on the dark side indicates a rich condition which is preferable to a lean condition. How is the piston wash on the piston crown? Just looking at plug color doesn't really tell the whole story. After riding around and idling and choking the engine to start it, it would be hard to determine what you need to change, if anything.

To determine if you need to change jetting, you should install new plugs and do a wide-open pass across a meadow or straight stretch for about a half mile, and without taking your thumb off the throttle, kill the engine and coast to a stop. Pull the plugs and look then. If your plugs are like the one on the left, it would indicate the jetting is safe for the temperature and elevation you are riding at on that day. Take each piston to bottom dead center and look at the piston crown. Look at the piston where the fuel enters the cylinder. There should be a 'washed' or cleaner area about the size of a thumbnail at each intake port. Too much wash indicates the mix is too rich. A smaller area of wash indicates a lean condition. When trying to optimize jetting, use both plug color and piston wash to determine safe jetting. Just remember, the closer you are to perfect, the less "fudge factor" you will have. If you jet right on the edge, you will have to change jets if it gets colder or if you ride at lower elevations to remain safe.

A second pass at half throttle will give you the same info regarding the needle jet setting. Again, a cardboard brown color indicates safe jetting. To adjust the midrange, the E clip on the needle will need to be moved on the needle. Moving the E clip up will lower the needle in the needle jet and make the midrange leaner. Moving the E clip down will raise the needle and make the midrange richer.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The sled runs fine. Thanks for the advise. I have not taken the heads off yet to inspect. I will measure exhaust temperatures to ensure all 3 are burning properly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts