Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about trading my 1980 trailcat 4000 for a non running el tigre 6000it worth it?, is this a good sled? the guy says its not getting spark i havnt seen it yet but hopefully early this week i will. no sparks usually caused by bad cdi or coil right? is ther a way to check if both cdi & coil are working to find which is the problem if this is causing it. my other question is he says its a 6000 and arctic cats website says the 6000 for this year has a 650cc l/c but ive also heard 530 l/c, he on the other hand says its a 500cc l/c but he told me thats the original?! sorry if im not doing this post right, this is like my 2nd one..

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
No spark can also be any of the switches, usually the TSS.
Easy test is to unplug the main harness from the engine and check for spark. If no spark, jumper the brown to black wires and check again. If still no spark, then it is likely one of the components.
Is this the same year as your trail cat?
The first year of the 6000 was 78. The next was 84.
Engine listed for the 78 is AF44L1 which was a 440 liquid.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
I've had several 6000! The 78-79 was a 440 lq the 80-81 were 500cc Lq the 85 was a 530! The 650 was a Wild Cat in 88!
The no spark usually isn't a big deal, I would look at compression!I am kinda looking for a 80-81 6000, to do a Tcat transplant! Where is he at?

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
I had a 87 6000 as well! Heavy! To check for spark, unplug the 4 sq plug comeing out of the motor, test! If still no spark jump the brown and black wires on the motor side of the harness,test again. This will by pass all the kill switches!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys!! im goin to trade him even tommarow afternoon, i cant wait! i just hope im making a good choice with this..also he said he thinks the problem is caused by the exciter coil, so maybe stator etc could be cleaned up?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just got it home. after looking at it i think the problem could be under the dash? (killswitch etc.) theres quite a bit of wires under there that dont appear to be plugged in to anything. so tommarow im planning on taking the radiator off to access these wires. its a start right?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
still having problems..replaced kill switch and still nothing. on the killswitch theres 3 wires going to it, 1 of them is ground, another comes straight from cdi box, and the last commes from a small metal box on the outside of the brakes just above the chaincase, theres is also 2 other wires that come from here, what is it?! above you guys told me to jump the brown and black wires from cdi box together and see if theres spark, well theres 6 wires coming from my cdi, 1 of them goes to the kill switch, then there are 3 wires that are black&white, red, and black that go into a harness. the other 2 from the cdi are black& white and yellow & green, that also go into a harness? so which do i jump? having real problems here, thanks again, and please be patient with me, as i am new to snowmobiles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts