Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this sled a few months ago, had been sitting for 6-7 years inside a heated garage, I went through and replaced a bunch of parts and upgraded to a ZL skid.. anyway, its running great but the clutch is a little sticky and it tends to stall out when idling because its still partially engaged. I've put about 50 miles on it so far and that issue seems to be correcting itself, but I also have a top end rpm problem... Im only seeing 8000-8100 rpm out of it at WOT. It runs real strong through the whole rpm range but it just doesnt max out. Could this be clutch related? Any advice is appreciated!
The engine is pulling real hard at that rpm and compression is 135 across the board...

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
bring the rpms up by adjusting the belt deflection, wouldn't hurt to clean and maybe rebuild the clutches

·
Registered
26,127 Posts
Start by sanding down the sheves and blow them out real good! Then put a new belt on. See if the belt rides out of the driven about an 1/8". Also check the springs.

·
Premium Member
34,103 Posts
If after cleaning the clutches it still only peaks at less than 8100, then you can move the secondary spring anchor to #4 hole. This will raise the peak rpm by appx 200rpm.

Also make sure that the plastic buttons in the helix are in good condition. If they are more than half worn, replace them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Start by sanding down the sheves and blow them out real good! Then put a new belt on. See if the belt rides out of the driven about an 1/8". Also check the springs.
It has a new belt (broken in) with about 75 miles on it now... did 25 miles today on local trails. It does ride out of the driven about 1/8".

Kccats- sanding the sheeves - what grit should I use? And what is an ideal top end rpm for a stock 900 motor?

While we are on the conversation of clutches, do you guys recommend this trail kit from D&D? 200-1001 93-97 Thundercat Stock Pipe Trail Clutch Kit $161.45 D&D Powersports LLC Thundercat from D & D POWER SPORTS LLC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts