Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Artic cat El Tigre that only has one spark. It is a twin cylinder 600. Do you think it is the coil? If not, what do you think would cause this problem.. I switched plugs, and it is not the plug. I can't remove the wires from the coil to check them.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
482 Posts
check that the connections and lines from the stater to the coil are clean and tight.
that model have the single doesnt it?
ya might want to pull of the mag (behind pull start) and check your stater, make sure its clean and free of shorts.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ya new to sleds?

Single, I was talking about the coil. you have 2 coils or 1?
another words, does each plug wire have its own coil or ya got 2 wires going into one coil?
they'll be two or three wires on the bottom of the coil, make sure the connections are clean and tight.

the stater is what generates the electric power for your sled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has one coil. I thought the magneto creates the juice. Is it possible that the coil could be bad on one side?

·
Registered
482 Posts
A coil is single wound wire. when it gets a break in the wire it shorts and goes bad. to check for this you can use a OHM meter.
set it to 1K and touch your lead wire to one probe and the other to the plug end. you should have a pos reading of the needle.

The magneto spins around the stator to create the charge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used a test light. There are 2 wires coming from the CDI box to the coil. Only one wire is hot.
I checked the 4 wires coming from the magneto to the CDI box, and only 2 are hot.
What do you think?
Based on your suggestion, I am in the process of taking the magneto off, but am having a problem getting it off. I am using a wheel pull but am afraid of putting too much pressure on it.

Thanks for your help,
Marc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts