Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started up my sled today, 2 pulls, idled fine at 1.5k, just didnt sound rite to me tho. So, while she was running, I pulled one of the plug wires, it died. Reatached, started it up, pulled other plug wire, it kept running... Whats the cause of this? When you initially hit it theres a little bog, and im sure its because its only on one cyl for a min then both fire.. Keeep in mind ive ridden it and it was at full power.. So, why does she only idle on one cyl?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, im getting spark on the cylinder it aint idling on, when I pulled the wire it shocked the f*ck outta me

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why does it fire on both when the rpms go up tho? Plugged jet causing this? Goddamnit, I really dont wanna tear that damn carb off again.. I cleaned it really good, dont see how this could be the issue again...

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cant switch sides, cuz the ones to short to reach... If I have just one spark plug wire on the cylinder that it idles on, itll start for a second then die, no matter what wire I have on.. It wont completely start unless both are on... If I put the plug wire on the cylinder it wont idle on, and take the plug wire off the good cylinder, it wont even attempt to start

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I would think so.. SHould I try that? My thinking is, if the wires are bad, it wouldnt produce spark which it does, so its not the wires.. is this correct or not necessarily?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Only thing that makes me think it may be the carb is, this was the carb that was SUPER dirty, I cleaned it best I could, didnt get it perfect, but looked alot better... I didnt clean out the jets.. Could a clogged jet cause it not to idle? Cuz the cylinder the left side that has the new carb, is the one it idles on.... Should I just replace the caps and go from there?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Worked on my sled today.. Its not my wires or caps, and not my coil.. As soon as it hits 4k rpms, it fires on both.. Switch carb sides, and then the problem occured on the opposite side. So I narrowed it down to that dirty carb... After running it awhile with the track off the ground, it seemed to clear itself out some, and once in awhile will idle on both.. So, after runnin a few tanks of gas threw it, and some seafoam, im sure itll be fine.. I dont see how I could cause any harm runnin it like this cuz im hardly ever at idle.. wen i did get to ride it that little bit, it ran real good, and both plugs aare the same color.

Anyway, Im goin up north monday night to do some ridin, ill let u no how it goes

·
Registered
16 Posts
An issue I had with mine was the fuel line had gotten very weak and flexible over the years and had managed to pinch itself off at the fuel pump. It would run ok when the rpms were up as it managed to suck a little gas but at idle it ran like crap. I would check that all i did was clip off an inch and problem was solved. Took me a while to figure out though.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alrite thx.. Yea, the previous owner was an idiot, he replaced some lines and not others, and there all different sizes.. Im gonna buy all new lines today, just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, after runnin my sled some more in the garage, i had it runnin with the hood up, and on the cylinder side that its not idling on, sparks are flying around, but only on that side.. So what does this mean? Today wen i get fuel lines ill still prly get the wire ends just to see.. I doubt thats it, cuz I can switch the wires any way, and its always the same cylinder.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmm, after runnin my sled some more in the garage, i had it runnin with the hood up, and on the cylinder side that its not idling on, sparks are flying around, but only on that side.. So what does this mean? Today wen i get fuel lines ill still prly get the wire ends just to see.. I doubt thats it, cuz I can switch the wires any way, and its always the same cylinder.
what do you mean "sparks are flying around"

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the cylinder side that it wont idle on, under the spark plug cap, you can see sparks.. But on the side it does idle on, you cant see any

·
Registered
30 Posts
Carbon tracking on plugs look for black lines going vertical down the ceramic part of the plug. If you see that change plugs. and get some dielectric grease (spark plug grease) from autozone and put it in the spark plug boot. If your seeing actual spark comming out of the boot over the spark plug i would put a set of wires on it.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Goin to the store right now.. Buyin oil, hyfax, fuel line, Plug caps, spark plugs, and a belt.. so, possibly new caps could do the trick? How hard are they to put on?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts