Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it’s a 1981 arctic cat 440 panther 4000.. runs around the yard twice( 2 acres) then dies. Upon inspecting I thought it may be coil acting up. I checked spark immediately and had good purple spark. Then I pulled line, thinking it might be fuel pump, looks like it’s getting fuel. I’ve pulled the carb apart several times.. cleaned as well as I could.. still runs the same. I’ve replaced fuel filter, fuel pump, cleaned carb.. altho admittedly I’m not sure if I’m getting everything. It bogs then dies.. if I choke it, it seems to help out. As I watch the fuel come through the filter, it looks like it is sparse.. the fuel tank looks clean enough... the tank is nearly empty, but has enough gas to emmerse hose as there is a nut tie strapped to it to keep it emmersed is fuel. How important is the throttle plate gasket? There is also a small oring that prolly needs replaced... where can I even get a rebuild kit? If I convert to a newer carb... how can I do so and keep my oil pump pumping? I know.. lots of questions... but I’m at my wits end! Need help!! Thanks in advance!! On a side note last summer I had the local power sports shop rebuild the engine..new rings, gaskets and crank seals.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
There is a good write up in the How too section on Mikuni carbs
The pilot jet (up the tube) needs a good straight screw driver ground narrower to get out
DO NOT try a small screw driver that fits the hole, it will strip the jet!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha! It’s about to be mine too! I found a video... will watch tomorrow thanks guys and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I beleive it was a fuel delivery issue. The hose that went into the tank had been replaced and was very long. I inspected several times and it appeared the end ( which had a large nut tie strapped to the end, to keep it anchored) was submerged in the fuel. However, I shortened the line, put the correct brass end on the line and added some fuel to the tank it has ran perfect ever since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts