Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a '84 Excell iii is the oil pump cable that connects to the throttle supposed to retract when the throttle is let off?
Mine has no retraction at all. It is hooked up but doesn't go in and out as the throttle is actuated. Seems like it should go in and out with the throttle to control oil injection.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
not exactly sure if it goes with the throttle cable, but i do know that it should have spring tension on it if you manually pull on the cable. it should spring back after releasing the cable. thats how you measure the freeplay.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
The Excel III has the cable hooked up and the opposite end of the lever that controls the butterfly valve on the carb. The cable should retract.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Excel III has the cable hooked up and the opposite end of the lever that controls the butterfly valve on the carb. The cable should retract.
Do you know where the spring is that retracts it? I do not see any on the exploded diagram in the shop manual.

Mine has been running wide open all the time. It smokes like crazy at idle as can be expected. Surprisingly it doesn't foul plugs.

Jason

·
Registered
223 Posts
Is there a spring of some sorts in the oil pump itself? On mine if I pull the cable from the oil pump it retracts back on its own. I have also heard that when oil pumps go out they open up wide. Maybe you need a new oil pump... I have an 85 XLV

If you look at the blown up diagram here: http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/yam...dBhV3RkVSc4A==|brand_V3WxOZNuhgn*F3UCBtXNow==

You will see Number 17 the cable assembly and then number 4 is a spring. I suspect that has something to do with it. For $96 you can get yourself a new pump. I'm not sure I would trust myself rebuilding one but maybe you could.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a spring of some sorts in the oil pump itself? On mine if I pull the cable from the oil pump it retracts back on its own. I have also heard that when oil pumps go out they open up wide. Maybe you need a new oil pump... I have an 85 XLV

If you look at the blown up diagram here: Yamaha Parts, Yamaha Snowmobile Parts, Yamaha ATV Parts, Yamaha Motorcycle Parts, Yamaha Accessories at wholesale prices

You will see Number 17 the cable assembly and then number 4 is a spring. I suspect that has something to do with it. For $96 you can get yourself a new pump. I'm not sure I would trust myself rebuilding one but maybe you could.
I don't know how it retracts. Number 4 on the diagram is a spring washer which I believe is a lock washer. Maybe somwhere internally there is a spring but you have to replace the entire pump to fix it.

At least the pump is wide open and giving too much oil. I'd rather it smoke and burn oil than burn up the motor.

Jason

·
Registered
172 Posts
Had the same problem last night on a 340 enticer, same pump. This is what we did, took about 1.5 hrs with my son and a few beers.

1. Remove exhaust pipe then clutch.

2. Behind where the clutch you will see 4 10mm nuts. Remove them (note the top and bottom are a bit longer than the side two)

3. Now the whole pump including the small housing that the cable goes into will come off.

4. Remove the cable cover, three small Phillips screws.

5. Ours had a small chunk of ice inside from a crack in the cable connector. We sprayed it out w/ break cleaner and air. It started to retract like a new one.

Before when the cable would freeze while it was closed it wouldn't let the throttle cable open the carb up.(Oil cable held butterfly closed) We would warm the engine compartment w/ a hair dryer or electric heater and a tarp for an hr or so and it would free it up. We were getting ready for snow last night and just got tired of messing with it so we took it apart. Works great now:thumbsup:, still no snow though:mad: lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts