Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the oil lines on my 84 Phazer and need to bleed the pump. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to accomplish this? Big snowstorm coming gotta get it running. Thanks.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
There should be a bleed screw on the pump itself. Crack open that screw and let the oil run out. then the pump will take care of the rest.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the bleed screw (I think) but can't get it open. So I took the outlet lines off where they go into the the carbs and tried working the throttle and pull starting without plugs in it so it wouldn't start. I got oil to flow to the left side carb but not the right. Any suggestions on what to do from here?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Take the line off the left carb and plug the tube, so the oil has no where to go but out the other tube. That should do it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
it is usually tough to get to that bleed screw on the oilpump. i used a real ling phillips screwdriver worked pretty good. just let the oil drainout the bleed screw until all the air is out of the lines.. put the screw back in fire it up and then scqeeze the oil line that goes back to the tank and it should flow nicely..

dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bleed screw is corroded into the pump. It won't break loose. I tried plugging the left side carb. Didn't work either. The oil pump gear is driven by the clutch shaft going into the engine so does the engine have to running to get proper oil flow to the carbs? I'm thinking of putting a vacuum T in the line I have oil and running the other line from that to the other carb. Think this might work?

·
Registered
31 Posts
u really need to get that air out.. can u take the screw out with some heat and some vicegrips.. u might have to take the carbs and intake manifolds off.... drill that screw out and remove with ease out be carefull.. i dunno about that vaccum idea. good luck

dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Putting a T in the working line worked to get oil to other carb. After running the engine I noticed oil coming out of the non-working side. I put everything back the right way and works great. Thanks for replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts