Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black Spots under sled and underside of Chaincase guard full of it . Exhaust has been shooting back oil on starts not sure if coming from that even if the machine hasnt been running its been dripping down under the guard for the chain case . Significant amount of oil has been spraying out the exhaust to the point it covers the underside of the same area and flicks back on to the rails. Could it be pooling up under the chaincase and dripping out from inside the tunnel? Oil is black have pretty much ruled out the chaincase cover and bearings on the driveshaft are fine along with seals isnt coming from that. Y pipe does leak some into the belly pan as well. Could that be running back and pooling up in that area under the chaincase?. Oil tank is well and full when i got the sled from the previous owner it was full right up to the cover too. Not that experienced with sleds here yet. Also drain plug is seized into the chaincase. Had to split the case took the cover off of it completely to rule out it wasnt coming from that though where the leak is coming from up under lead me to think it was but it was not. All was fine witth the chain case and drive and jackshaft bearings are not the culprit. Direction of the exhaust outlet points back right to where the sled is leaking and underside of guard is full on the outside up under. Could exhaust spraying back cause it to pool up there inside and drip down even when the machine hasnt been started in awhile?

·
Super Moderator
17,383 Posts
Exhaust will definitely cause an oil problem, especially with a cold engine. The oil in the crankcase and the oil that has coated the crankshaft and undersides of the piston/connecting rods slowly drips to the bottom of the crankcase. When you fire up the sled, the oil that is sitting there gets picked up by the airflow and gets introduced into the combustion chamber, but because there is quite a lot of it, it does not burn. So if you have a leaky exhaust gasket or leak in the Y pipe donut, that oil finds its way out and makes a mess of everything. So... new exhaust gasket or try torquing the Y pipe bolts and try coating the donut with high temp RTV or get a new donut...

I had that exact issue on my 2008 600. This summer, I ended up pulling the engine to get the mess cleaned up. What a pain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exhaust will definitely cause an oil problem, especially with a cold engine. The oil in the crankcase and the oil that has coated the crankshaft and undersides of the piston/connecting rods slowly drips to the bottom of the crankcase. When you fire up the sled, the oil that is sitting there gets picked up by the airflow and gets introduced into the combustion chamber, but because there is quite a lot of it, it does not burn. So if you have a leaky exhaust gasket or leak in the Y pipe donut, that oil finds its way out and makes a mess of everything. So... new exhaust gasket or try torquing the Y pipe bolts and try coating the donut with high temp RTV or get a new donut...

I had that exact issue on my 2008 600. This summer, I ended up pulling the engine to get the mess cleaned up. What a pain.
yea brother what a mess it is. I pulled the engine tonight out in the garage didn't want to but just getting it all back together here now its 3 am my time lol. I had to put new gasket and coated it with rtv at the y pipe it was also leaking and spraying badly at the can end where the mbrp exhaust i have on meets the pipe so had to see to that too. Also noticed there is a very light amount of seepage going on at the drain plug to the chaincase. Guessing the washer is crushed inside but as of right now there is no way i can get the damn plug out and didn't want to start drilling at it. Its not much at all just a slight spot on one side of the bolt that its showing up on was all cleaned up with a contact cleaner and let it sit long enough to diagnose that it was getting wet after from chaincase oil seeping through but its not even enough to cause a drop so may just run it like that for the season and worry about it next summer since i already was into the chaincase with the cover off and cleaned it all up and looked at everything. Ive even had the driveshaft out since i boguht this thing and replaced a set of all balls bearing with actual cat bearings on both sides of the shafts to rule out the leak wasnt coming from the all balls bearing seals since the rubber seal is different on the cat bearings. It def wasnt that it has to be the exhaust but hopefully now with new donut and sealed with rtv the problem wont be as bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will have less oil seepage when the engine warms up, too. Sounds like you are getting quite an education in cat mechanics ;)
Oh yes its a been crash course. I got the sled really cheap back in july knew I was going to run into a few things but it was a good deal nothing major. 2200kms on the machine wasnt abused. So far ive done all that was mentioned above, put in new hyfax, fixed the tear in the seat , and cleaned up the handlebar wiring with wrap and a sleeve. Most of my mechanical experience comes from honda atvs though this is my first sled. Should be good to go now for the winter bring on the snow :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts