Snowmobile Forum banner

Oil Injection 86 Phazer

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jim8014 
#1 ·
I took my free 86 Phazer up to the mountains today. The clutch side piston seized, the plugs and the top of the piston are not even chocolate, rich if anything. How do I check the oiler on that side. Also when I took everything apart, the exhaust bolts on that side were not tightened at all. Could that cause a problem? Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
you dont want any exhaust leaks ! thats not good , what color was the plugs?
not the pistons, you have to pull the cable into the full open position and pull over the
engine . to test the oiler . you need to be VERY DILIGENT about cleaning the crankcase
out of ALL the debris , last one i did i sat there for over an hour spraying clean solvent into the engine and sucking it back out, have the cylinders bored get new pistons and
rings , then mix your oil in the gas tank . for the first tank, put a mark on the oil reservour and make sure it is using oil from the tank, you might foul a plug but thats cheaper than a rebuild , no oil could seeze the bottom end , so it could have just been jetted wrong for the elevation/temperature you were riding it at .

#3 ·
describe the condition of the seized piston as to what the sides look like, what side has the scoring and which side it stuck on. better yey, post a picture. if the cylinder was getting oil, there will be oil residue inside the piston. a loose exhaust can cause the cylinder to suck cold air and seize.

you say the piston tops werent even chocolate, what color were they?

#4 ·
The top of the piston is "sooty" dark brown. The exhaust side has the worst scoring, the Bottomring is seized tight on the exhausr side, some scoring also on thje intake side. The barrel has some aluminum transferred, but can barely feel it with your finger nail. I have pictures will try to figure out how to post them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.