Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2003 440 esr practicly eats throgh oil but my dads 570 we only need to fill like once a year. any suggestinos are welcome

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Sleds eat oil...

You need to tell us how much oil it is going through. It sounds like the 570 may have the problem! :confused: How many miles is he driving it a year? This year, I could believe it...

ANYWAY:
You should be going through oil and gas at the rate of 50:1. For a 12 gallon tank of gas, you should burn "about" a quart of oil.

Do a simple experiment. Fill your gas tank, *and* top off your oil tank. Then find some snow, and ride, ride, ride. The farther you ride, the more accurate your results will be. Try to use a full tank of gas. Then - fill your gas tank, and keep track of the gallons. Top off your oil tank, and keep track of the ounces. Then, do the math - (there are 128 ounces in a gallon). Multiply the gallons of gas by 128, and divide by the ounces of oil. The number you come up with will be the ratio of gas to oil. You should be using 50 times more gas than oil... :)

Here's an example for 12 gallons of gas, and a quart (32 ounces of oil).

12 gallons gas x 128 = 1536 ounces of gas
1536 / 32 ounces oil = 48
The ratio is 48:1 (which is close enough to 50:1)

If your ration is off by a lot, you'll need to adjust your oiler cable setting.

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
look at the oil pump, does the throtle pull evenly? there will be a screw in the oil pump, this screw will line up with a mark on the oil pump actuator arm. ther will be two marks, one for idle and one for full open. to adj lossen the cable jam nuts and adjust them them. it sounds like your sled is running rich you will have to lossen them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well we fill em both up at the same time and the 440 runs out faster then the 570 but ill check some of those things

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
It is probably just an adjustment... but it helps to KNOW what your consumption actually is. If you're getting enough oil now, it would be BAD to adjust it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
cvsnopro said:
well we fill em both up at the same time and the 440 runs out faster then the 570 but ill check some of those things
Unless you monitor your consumption, how do you know the 440 is "eating oil" ? Just because it needs oil before the 570, that doesn't mean the 570 is correct. Sleds NEED oil to survive. If you turn the 440 down (without calculating consumption) to match the 570 - you may have to rebuild two motors this season instead of just one...

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Thanks Pickle!!! Somehow, I think I was failing to get that point across... even though I was trying! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts