Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up '97 Summit. When I start it, it produces a puddle of oil where the exhaust exits. Idleing for a couple minutes produces a 6" puddle of oil on the floor. Haven't really run it for any period of time, so I'm not sure if it will eventually clear out.

I did take a run down the street last night (1/2 mile, max), and there's a 8 foot stream of oil on the road where I started off. It looks like a comet... big spot where I idled, then it trails off in the direction I went.
I'm going to take a look at the oiler tonight (see if it is stuck on, or not returning all the way). Just fishing for andwers right now... anybody have a similar problem? Could this be a real issue that needs to be dealt with (i.e. bad engine)?

·
Registered
323 Posts
First off bear in mind a 2 stroke burns oil to live, so oil in the exhaust is normal. By all means check the oil pump settings. But before you get to worried about it i would ride it more that half a mile. most sleds are set up to use a tank of oil per tank of gas.

Having too much oil will never hurt the engine, it may foul out a spark plug or 2, and the overall performance may suffer a little, but it wont hurt it any. Go run it 5-10 miles, then see how it looks

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah... I know they live on oil. It was the quantity that alarmed me. I'm talking about a half-cup of oil on the ground, not just a little dark circle from smokey exhaust.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts