Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a '78 John Deere Spitfire and the current owner has no title. I'm not sure if Ohio has any sort of rules on vintage snowmobiles and registering them. Anyone have a clue?

I imagine I could do a bill of sale, but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough. To my understanding, without a title you'd have to go to court to get one. Is that the case with vintage snowmobiles?

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lived in Ohio my whole life, and have NEVER had a title for a sled. Make sure you get a bill of sale though, just to cover your butt. My Electra was registered in both Ohio and PA when I last had it out. ZERO issues getting the stamps for both states, without a title.

·
Registered
794 Posts
yea just have a bill of sale with the vin and thats all you will need.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I kind of totally forgot that Snowmobiles aren't titled in Ohio. I did go into the DMV a couple years ago (different snowmobile, this one did actually have a title) and they had no idea how to register a snowmobile. They made me have it inspected and everything. After months of waiting for the inspector to come, check it off (and stating he's confused why he had to do this), I went back to the BMV and they told me I didn't need all that done and all they had to do was a couple things that took 2 mins.

Damn BMV...

Thanks again!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.