Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bottom line...
Should I use 91 octane like the manual say's... or should I use 87 like the dealership told me?:dunno:

IQ 600 Widetrak

·
shiftrider86
22 Posts
10c a litre more... 40l a fillup = 4 bucks more, 20 tanks a season= 80 bucks for cheap insurance and a cleaner burning... and probably ethanol free fuel for a season, i even run premo in my weedwacker lol, and with over 15000 miles of hard riding on my sleds i have never even burned a piston, so its up to you... is the 80 bucks this winter worth the cost of reassurance? haha

·
Registered
794 Posts
My etec calls for 91 and in the occasional instance that no premium is available I have run 87 is does make a difference it doesnt like to idle on the 87 and it gives me trouble shifting into reverse as sometimes it stalls. I always run the premium unless it is not available

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx guys, I'll try runnin premo, sometimes it might be hard to get around here as I am an hour away from the nearest pump.
Next time I'm in town I'll bring some cans to fill.

·
Registered
41 Posts
and with the lack of ethanol in 91, there's no water which could jel up in your motor when it gets cold. def. go with 91.

·
shiftrider86
22 Posts
the other other problem with ethanol blended fuels is they have a lighter specific gravity than unblended premium, so if your sled is calling for 91, it could be running on the lean side with regular, so to be safe running it you should jet up a size for regular, but then the increase in fuel consumption, is gonna offset what you would save on the price per liter of just buying the 91

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the other other problem with ethanol blended fuels is they have a lighter specific gravity than unblended premium, so if your sled is calling for 91, it could be running on the lean side with regular, so to be safe running it you should jet up a size for regular, but then the increase in fuel consumption, is gonna offset what you would save on the price per liter of just buying the 91
What about octane boost additive? could this be a safe option when I can't get to a pump with supreme?
Like I said I'm an hour from town, and all I they sell here down at the local mercantile is regular and bottles of octane boost.

·
Super Moderator
16,791 Posts
The octane boost works ok to give you a couple of points increase. With the age of your sled, there are a lot of built-in safeguards to keep your engine safe when running less than optimal fuel. For the most power and performance, run 91. If you run 87 and the engine senses knock, the timing is retarded to prevent detonation and damage to the engine. You will "suffer" a slight loss in performance. The reality is, you probably won't notice any difference the majority of time you are riding.

·
2011 800 Pro R Rush Retro
260 Posts
i have to run premium in my xcr and its hard to get in remote places so i always carry octane boost myself....i think the 99xcr700 has a premo switch.....wish mine had one

1 - 12 of 12 Posts