Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting my 98 skidoo form 583 deluxe back together and I'm having trouble getting the o-rings that go on top of cylinders to stay put. Any suggestions/tricks? I'm talking about the 2 o rings that go around the top of each cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
I use a bit of grease to hold 'em in on the sleds I have played with that have them... I'm not sure on Skidoo but on some of the Polaris sleds, it helped to buy the OEM O rings as the after-market ones were just a tad small and would pop out of the groove, even with the grease holding them in.

·
Registered
26,128 Posts
If you use Vaseline on them and then just work them with your fingers and stretch them a bit as you are lubing them them work!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I've stretched them and I've used gasket goop to hold them in place. Both work just fine. But BC_Dan is correct, OEMs fit better, if you can find them.

Reactions: rvroman969

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use a bit of grease to hold 'em in on the sleds I have played with that have them... I'm not sure on Skidoo but on some of the Polaris sleds, it helped to buy the OEM O rings as the after-market ones were just a tad small and would pop out of the groove, even with the grease holding them in.
I ordered a gasket kit when I did the top end, yeah prolly not OEM parts.

·
Super Moderator
18,335 Posts
I've tried stretching the O rings as well as heating them in hot water, with marginal success. If the O rings are close, that may give you a chance to get it together without the ring jumping out of the groove when you put the head on. I was working on a 650 and eventually tossed the after-market O rings and bit the bullet. The OEM ones went in smooth as silk with no muss, no fuss. I don't think the after-market pays as much attention to the exact dimensions as the folks that make the OEM rings.. just my opinion, mind you.

Good luck, it can be really frustrating!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried stretching the O rings as well as heating them in hot water, with marginal success. If the O rings are close, that may give you a chance to get it together without the ring jumping out of the groove when you put the head on. I was working on a 650 and eventually tossed the after-market O rings and bit the bullet. The OEM ones went in smooth as silk with no muss, no fuss. I don't think the after-market pays as much attention to the exact dimensions as the folks that make the OEM rings.. just my opinion, mind you.

Good luck, it can be really frustrating!!
Thanks, I found some oem o-rings so not going to try to mess with the aftermarket ones anymore. It is very frustrating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts