Votes: 1 25.0%
  • You have to *register* sleds in NY???

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just registered my sleds in NY... Instructions said to put sticker on the side of the machine, so I put it on the side of the windshield. I didn't want to mess up that sweeeeet Solar Flare paint job with a stupid sticker!

Found out last night, while sitting through the (mandatory) Operator's Safety Course with my son, that "side" means "cowling" in NYS. Too late for me to move it now...
The best place I've seen NYS reg stickers placed is on the tunnel. That way you don't mess up anything... but that's illegal too.

The police teaching the course said they had a directive last year *NOT* to issue tickets for stickers on the tunnel. Wonder if that will carry into the future????

Stupid laws!

Anyway - NY sledders; where do you put your stickers?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
michael9688 said:
i stuck mine on the inside of my windshield(the hump on the cowl)
vt state loves meh
BRILLIANT!!!!! Technically, it *is* on the cowling. :D

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The NYS safety booklet gets real specific - to the point of defining the cowling as "the part which covers the engine". It doesn't say it can't be *inside* the windshield - just not *on* the windshield. ;)

I wonder what they're going to say about mine. Haven't gotten stopped yet. Mine's butted, bottom edge against the cowling, but it's still on the windshield. It's way more visible where it is - hope they aren't jerks about it!

What can they make you do? Take it off and move it? The stickers VOID themselves if you try to remove them. And NYS registration numbers follow the sled, not the owner. They'd have to re-issue me all new numbers for both my sleds...

Oh well... if they end up being jerks, I'll do the same and put it (on the cowling) inside my windshield next time.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
YOU CAN PUT IT IN THE BELLY PAN UNDER THE COWL BUT NOT BLOCKED BY THE TRAILING ARM, IF SO EQUIPPED, HAD MINE THERE AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
01MXZ800 said:
YOU CAN PUT IT IN THE BELLY PAN UNDER THE COWL BUT NOT BLOCKED BY THE TRAILING ARM, IF SO EQUIPPED, HAD MINE THERE AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS.
There's a nice flat spot on the sides of my belly pan, just the right size for the sticker. It would be off the paint, and clearly visible. But... it's not on the hood, and the law clearly defines the required location as on the hood.

Maybe having it on my windshield won't be as big of a problem as I am thinking. I guess I'll find out next season... ;)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
THEY WON'T GIVE YOU A PROBLEM WITH IT ON THE BELLYPAN
AS LONG AS IT IS CLEARLY VISABLE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts