Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I’ve been fighting a 1996 Formula 3 for 20+ years (since I was a kid). I’ve got FAST pipe and VForce 3 reeds on it, etc. but it’s never been a great sled. When it runs it seems fine. Good on groomed trails and great on lakes. Not good on banging ditches. Getting it stuck envokes PTSD. When it doesn’t want to start (most of the time) that high compression triple takes more man than I am to keep pulling it over. Morale of the story, I’m looking for a replacement. My wife made a comment about me not riding mine much so why spend a bunch on a replacement- she doesn’t ride and doesn’t get it but I understand her point. I’d ride more if my sled wasn’t always a headache. So I need to keep to a tight budget for the next sled $1500 max to keep peace. Lower always better of course. I ride mostly groomed trails but have a few miles of ditches and fields to get to them and also ice fish a fair bit so want something to use for that too. I’m leaning towards a 1998-00 ZR 600 EFI. I like the idea of not messing with carbs. In my experience when I’ve switched to EFI on Harleys and outboard engines life became more enjoyable. I’m not loyal to any brand and recognize that I’m looking at 20+ year old machines so it’s a gamble. But what are suggestions from the group on machines to look at? Avoid? I’m 38, 200 pounds, 6’ tall. Fairly athletic but body is showing wear from years of getting tossed off horses so comfort is important as is reliability (of course). Thanks for your help and reading this lengthy post!

· Registered
4,593 Posts
I agree with your choice. 1998-00 ZR EFI. I think you'll enjoy the smoother ride and the start-on-2nd pull every time.

As for the Formula 3, you can get a pull start that is easier. (2004 MXZ version) and it has an adaptor to mount to that engine. Makes it easier to pull. But, pretty nose heavy so it was never really good through the bumps. There is a reason it was only used in flat-track racing.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! Thanks for reinforcing my thoughts - don’t want to regret it again for the next 20 years lol!
I’m intrigued by the starter upgrade. Are there any links on how to do that?

· Registered
4,593 Posts
Can't seem to locate one that says Formula 3, but it is something like this one:

· Registered
27,494 Posts
Welcome
May I add Sno Pro to that ZR (heavyer springs)
Or perhaps I could give that an Up grade
Find a Pantera!
I believe the 02 Pantera 600 EFI would work Perfect for you
Comes stock with electric start reverse hand warmers front and Passanger!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts