Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.
I’m new to snowmobiling and looking for some suggestions on buying a used sled. I don’t have a favorite brand but interested in a long track two up touring type ride. Liquid cooled preferable with a bigger engine for carrying two riders. Minnesota type riding - trails and lakes. Budget $4k. Thanks and GO. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Before buying, one needs to visit local snowmobile shops and ask which makes/models they will repair, what they recommend and if 2-stroke or 4-stroke is better - for your unique riding need. I like 2-stroke 600cc or 700cc for 2-up machines. 600cc are good for average riding conditions and 700cc is probably better for hills - especially double riding. 2-strokes smoke more (which my wife doesn't like) but they have a zoom-zoom feeling. 4-stroke have larger size engines but tend to be heavier weight - which can be harder to handle on sharp corners. Some of my friends have a 4-stroke and swear they'd never go back to a smelly 2-stroke. Some of my sled friends ride hard and want "deep" suspension depth. Especially for double riding. Some of my other sled friends have power steering. They love it for "long haul" tours. Especially in the bush on the zig / zag trails. My one buddy loves Arctic Cat. My other buddy loves Polaris. They all love their 12 volt Plug ins for heated helmets - which is a must. Electric Start and Reverse gear is mandatory for some - especially for the older age drivers (like me). Some love high wind deflecting wind shields (like me) and others want low profile windshields. Bottom line..... Probably best to try different sled make/models, then decide which is best for you. For your first sled, recommend buying "low miles" used. If wondering, I have a older age 1999 Yamaha Venture 2-up (2-stroke) and love it. For its age, nice machine and has the main features I wanted. Its "old technology" to many high speed driving sled folks.... But for me, it will probably be the last sled I'll own. Old, fast enough for me with reliable triple engine - if that's on your checklist as well...

Hope this helps - somehow....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before buying, one needs to visit local snowmobile shops and ask which makes/models they will repair, what they recommend and if 2-stroke or 4-stroke is better - for your unique riding need. I like 2-stroke 600cc or 700cc for 2-up machines. 600cc are good for average riding conditions and 700cc is probably better for hills - especially double riding. 2-strokes smoke more (which my wife doesn't like) but they have a zoom-zoom feeling. 4-stroke have larger size engines but tend to be heavier weight - which can be harder to handle on sharp corners. Some of my friends have a 4-stroke and swear they'd never go back to a smelly 2-stroke. Some of my sled friends ride hard and want "deep" suspension depth. Especially for double riding. Some of my other sled friends have power steering. They love it for "long haul" tours. Especially in the bush on the zig / zag trails. My one buddy loves Arctic Cat. My other buddy loves Polaris. They all love their 12 volt Plug ins for heated helmets - which is a must. Electric Start and Reverse gear is mandatory for some - especially for the older age drivers (like me). Some love high wind deflecting wind shields (like me) and others want low profile windshields. Bottom line..... Probably best to try different sled make/models, then decide which is best for you. For your first sled, recommend buying "low miles" used. If wondering, I have a older age 1999 Yamaha Venture 2-up (2-stroke) and love it. For its age, nice machine and has the main features I wanted. Its "old technology" to many high speed driving sled folks.... But for me, it will probably be the last sled I'll own. Old, fast enough for me with reliable triple engine - if that's on your checklist as well...

Hope this helps - somehow....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jack99,
Thank you for the response. Those are exactly some of the reasons I’m asking for input from the forum. Electric start and reverse are on my list as well but wouldn’t have thought about the weight difference between 2’s and 4’s. Also didn’t know power steering is an option.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If I remember correctly, 2014+ on Yamaha Venture has the "with Power Steering" option. My one Venture buddy has this feature and loves it. Then again, he's older age - like me. And, his wife loves it as well. If looking at the 2-up design, do investigate their rear seat setup. On my 2-up, I can adjust the rear passenger back rest to be the driver's back rest - when driving alone. Some other 2-ups don't allow this setup. My older age back loves this lower back rest support. Especially on my long haul 6+ hour rides. As suggested, try to "drive a few around" to see what you really want.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Welcome
THE top of the line is the Pantera
Personally I have a few
If and I say IF you can find one (most wont part with them) an 04 800 (mine)
It comes with
800cc efi 146 hp
electric start reverse
Removable pasanger seat
Passanger heated grips
Tall windshield with mirrors
and a large cargo rack

Oh and did I mention the power and handling
They are referred to as the FLYING RECLINER Lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts