Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Polaris trailbrazer that the kids like to ride during the winter. I have failed to clean the carbs, or tune up, since I got it. I pulled the seat and looked down into the area where the carb is. Looks very scarey! Is cleaning the carbs hard? Is there anything I need to look out for while pulling them? Is there a "screw" that richens and/or leans the fuel? Where is it located? Keep in mind I clean my carbs on my Yamaha Phazers, but it appears as though I'll be disconnecting more on my trailblazer. I know this isn't a snowmobile related or Yamaha related issue, but it seems like all the smart people hang out here! lololo

·
Registered
40 Posts
No replies... Here is my 2 cents...

I have only cleaned the carb on one atv, a Yamaha not a Polaris. Yes you do have to remove a fair amount of stuff to get to the carb, but it's not that bad. Just leave yourself anough time so you aren't rushed and keep track of all the parts. I don't know the particulars of your carb but if you have cleaned carbs before, you should be able to do this one. If there are fuel mixture screws keep track of what the settings are before you take it apart (assuming they are correct to begin with). Make sure you have removed all rubber parts/o-rings before hitting it with carb cleaner. Getting a shop manual will be a big help, there are places you can purchase a downloaded pdf manual and have it in a few minutes.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I guess just the fear of the unknown. Always afraid of some spring, or o-ring, or screw falling out as I'm taking appart.May tackle in the next week. Looks like snows leaving us for a while. I have a shop manual for my Phazers, and it also has listings for the Exciter. The carb on the Trailblazer looks the same as one of the Exciters, so I maybe able to reference the book.

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
This is a link to the Polaris website, it has parts diagrams for ATV's as well as sleds.

Browse

You didn't list what year Trailblazer, but I looked at the 1995 one (picked the year out of thin air) and it has a Mikuni round slide carb on it, very similar to many snowmobiles. They are very simple in operation and easy to work on, once you get it out of the machine. I'm not sure if it's similar to yours, though! The 95 is also a single piston two-stroke with similar clutching (I think they use the P-90 clutches on the ATV's instead of the P-85).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you. I guess just the fear of the unknown. Always afraid of some spring, or o-ring, or screw falling out as I'm taking appart.May tackle in the next week. Looks like snows leaving us for a while. I have a shop manual for my Phazers, and it also has listings for the Exciter. The carb on the Trailblazer looks the same as one of the Exciters, so I maybe able to reference the book.
Funny you should mention that, now I remember when I cleaned the carb on my atv... It has an accellerator pump circuit with a spring in it. When I took off the cover the spring went flying and dissappeared. I was in the middle of a project and my garage was really messy. I looked for a long time, finally my wife found it for me. So look out for that!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last night I had sometime to mess with. I pulled, really wasn't that hard. I took the bowl off and really for the most part clean. A concern I have is putting the bowl back on. Are the floats that pivot up and down on the little spindles supposed to go under the little float arm? Or do you just put it back together and everything sorta falls into place? The carb is the same as the one they use in Exciters. There is nothing I see in the book about positioning the floats prior to putting the bowl back on. However a new gasket is in order.

·
is riding a 78 Hawk
513 Posts
just flip the carb upside down and put the bowl on, it should slip right over everything. shake the carbs a bit to see if the floa is moving

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.