Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to snowmobiles. I live in a place where its very popular and I have family that ride skidoos, and this year I want to start.
I have a budget of about 3500-4000$ (CAD) and I will mostly do trail. People around me tell me different stuff so I thought it would be a good idea to ask here.
Some of them say I should start with an old Tundra with backward, others tell me an old MXZ (around 2005) in good shape would be good. What I understood from what they told me is that the tundras are slow but very reliable, and the MXZ or anything like that might be too fast for me and would be in bad condition but have better tech. I dont need to go at crazy speeds but being able to follow the others would be nice.
I really dont know what to choose, I dont really want a slow sled without a speedometer but I dont want a sled that will have many problems either. I can't go over 4000$.
I hope someone can help me choose between the two or tell me an alternative.
Have a good day!

· Administrator
19,576 Posts
Your biggest limitation is what is for sale in your area. When you find a potential sled for sale, post up about it and the guys will weigh in on the pros and cons to help you make your decision. We don't have many trail only riders out west, but I do know of a few guys that have Tundras. They are heavy and slow compared to the mountain sleds, but do trails just fine and are known for being reliable. But slow is relative. For a new rider, hitting 90 kpm can be pretty exciting and the Tundras I have seen can do that pretty easily.

Good luck in the search and welcome to the forum!

· Super Moderator
397 Posts
Depends on where you want to ride it. Off trail then a Tundra would be perfect and very light and easy to unstick in deep snow. If you are riding on the lakes you'd want more power and go faster models, if trail riding then you'll want a Mxz or something like that to ride with others comfortably, If riding steep and deep snow then you'll be looking at Mountain sleds. Whatever you do, don't get a sled not designed for your purpose. You'll hate it.

· Administrator
19,576 Posts
The 500 cc class is a great place to start when buying a snowmobile. They usually have adequate power for most needs and as a whole, have good reliability. Like KC said, you may want to replace the pistons/rings as a maintenance thing...

· Registered
4,593 Posts
Don't limit yourself on what size motor it has. Regardless of what others think, the throttle has more than 2 positions.

I have no issues with putting beginners on a 583/600. They'll run the speed they are comfortable with.

Look for the newest sled that you can get in your budget. The biggest question is what kind of riding do you do? 500SS MXZ won't be very good in deep snow. It is a good sled for trails and ditch banging.

· Registered
2014 Ski-doo Tundra, 2019 Ski-doo Tundra
3 Posts
Hello,
I'm new to snowmobiles. I live in a place where its very popular and I have family that ride skidoos, and this year I want to start.
I have a budget of about 3500-4000$ (CAD) and I will mostly do trail. People around me tell me different stuff so I thought it would be a good idea to ask here.
Some of them say I should start with an old Tundra with backward, others tell me an old MXZ (around 2005) in good shape would be good. What I understood from what they told me is that the tundras are slow but very reliable, and the MXZ or anything like that might be too fast for me and would be in bad condition but have better tech. I dont need to go at crazy speeds but being able to follow the others would be nice.
I really dont know what to choose, I dont really want a slow sled with
Hello,
I have a budget of about 3500-4000$ (CAD
Hello,
I really dont know what to choose, I dont really want a slow sled without a speedometer but I dont want a sled that will have many problems either. I can't go over 4000$.
I hope someone can help me choose between the two or tell me an alternative.
Have a good day!
I got started with a 2014 Tundra and I absolutely love it. I pretty much just snowmobile for work so on narrow unused trails and the tundra has no let me down. I’m a smaller woman and I find it really nice and maneuverable so anyone probably would too. The best thing about it is that it is reliable and easy to fix and gets the job done.

· Registered
4,593 Posts
Honestly, I think I'd stay away from the 2000-2014(?) Skidoos that had the older style DESS key. The machines were great, but that older rubber cap style tether was very problematic. There is a reason Skidoo updated them to the newer RF style (plastic).
Another thing to think about, owners of MXZs generally ride their machines harder than owners of Tundra/Skandics. Just the nature of the machines.

Good family machines are the Tundras (newer than 1995), Skandics, Grand Tourings, GSX, and Legends. Motor sizes range from the 380 to the 800. ETECs are easier to start and don't require as much maintenance. I know a lot of 600 ACE's are coming up for sale because people are upgrading to the 900's. I just about bought a Tundra with the 600 ACE, but something else came up and took that money away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts