Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the Snow-Gos.

The first thing that happened was to the 1996 Touring E. Oil leaked out while riding and it lost compression. 30-90 compression. Haven't torn into it to assess the damage.

Second thing, one of the boys drove the 1999 Jag into a cement barrier. Bent the frame on the right side. Frame and tunnel look like a banana. Not super bad, but bad enough to throw the motor out of alignment and the skis are about 6" different now.

Those were the worst of it. The final thing is minor, the '95 Summit is flooding itself out on the right cylinder. Time for a carb rebuild kit. I've cleaned it and set the float several times and this just seems to re-occur over and over. Probably bad needle/seat.

Tore into the 1999 Jag. Decided it was more work than just transferring the track over to the 1999 Z. Figured I'd just make the Z the working sled of the two and work on the Jag this summer. But then I discovered the Z's 370 motor had a blown crank seal... So the Jag motor might migrate to the Z chassis as well. Too bad the hoods don't exchange... Z hood in in rough shape. Thinking of revisiting adapting the 1982 Panther 440 motor into the Z as well. Might make for a fun little sled.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Ive had rides like that myself
Sounds like you have a plan

I tore into my Mini Truck and have it scattered all over the shop

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yikes! That is one bad ride!

We've all had rides like that at one point or another. Main thing is like Dan said...thank god we all have the knowledge to work on our toys otherwise the costs at any shop would be outrageous!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, If I had to have someone else do the work, these sleds would done, either sold off or junked.

Unfortunately, the 440 Panther motor won't be an easy swap, so it will remain in the Panther. I'll just put the 340 in the Z for now, figured I'd go through the wiring while everything was out. Don't want to make to many mods, as I kind of hope to get the Jag back up and running some day.

Still baffled of how the kid didn't see the cement barrier. There is a ditch that you have to go down into and back up to the barriers. There is a gap between two of them to allow snowmobiles through. There are reflectors all over the place. But it is what it is. He survived with minor injuries. Snowmobile can be fixed.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, my car has to sit in the cold, but I do have the garage. It should go back together quickly in the Z. Just need to straighten out the wiring a bit. Could transfer the e-start too, but my son is saying "don't do it". lol. Saves me from buying a battery then. The old battery only have about 1" of fluids in all the chambers. I don't see any cracks or anything where it might of leaked. Might take it to my friend and have him re-fill it and see if it is still good.

·
Registered
481 Posts
My Craftsman charger has a built in battery load tester in it. Might be a tool to pick up, lots of those chargers these days have those kinds of built in testers now which is nice, don't have to take it to the shop or parts store! Plus acid is cheap so I would definitely try to see if it is good still.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts