Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pretty-much stock 2000 Arctic Cat ZL550 esr. It seems to me that I'm running awfully high RPMs at somewhat slow speeds. My tach is reading around 6000 RPM at only 40 MPH. I'm in the 8000 RPM range at about 70 MPH. Does this sound reasonable? My other sleds don't have tachs, so I can't compare.

Is there anything to be concerned with here? I'm pretty sure that the stock weights have been ground a little to make them lighter, though I'm not sure howw much. Should I replace the weights?

·
Registered
135 Posts
My Zl 500 from idle at 1800 RPM Pulls straight to 8500 and stays there with my Dalton Pro Clutch Kit. At 40 MPH, That sounds about right, maybe a little high. I would replace the weights if someone just ground them down. They are a highly technical and should never be altered from when they were made!

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
Steve-o- oviously you are not a tru snowmobile tuner if you never heard of grinding weights, it is a very acctable thing to do. companys even make special tools for it. it does seem like this is the problem thought. weights colapse the clutch so if they are lighter than they will colapse later in a higher rpm. get some stock ones.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!!!

The weights are quite soft, and easily ground. I had one break last year, and I ended up only replacing that one weight. I knew they were ground because the weights were different from the new one, and the taper didn't quite match. I just used a drum sander, chucked in my drill press, to match the tapers (with all 3 weights clamped together, of course). Then I ground the back sides to match all the weights to the lightest one.

It wasn't hard to do, but I think I should still get some stock ones in it. At least I now know I'm not too far off on RPM.

·
Registered
135 Posts
As i respect you I am kinda pissed off with the personal attack. I never said, act, or pretend to be a "tuner". Just a avid trail rider with i feel more than common knowledge. I guess I must bow down to sesnopro...

I am concerned that the person who "ground them down" might not done it in a correct manner or with the tools. I am not aware of grinding weights, i just buy them from a supplier. I would never touch a weight, they are geometrically identical from weight to weight, and I don't feel they are made to be altered.

But hey what do i know I'm not a "tuner." I stick to being called a "wrench."

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve-o- said:
As i respect you I am kinda pissed off with the personal attack. I never said, act, or pretend to be a "tuner". Just a avid trail rider with i feel more than common knowledge. I guess I must bow down to sesnopro...

I am concerned that the person who "ground them down" might not done it in a correct manner or with the tools. I am not aware of grinding weights, i just buy them from a supplier. I would never touch a weight, they are geometrically identical from weight to weight, and I don't feel they are made to be altered.

But hey what do i know I'm not a "tuner." I stick to being called a "wrench."
Steve-o

At least let us know who you're pissed at. I don't think I attacked you... but your post (and lack of quote) looks like you're mad at me. :(

As you noted; the guy who fiddled with the weights before me looked like he had his pit bull chew on them. They didn't look like they were neatly done, which is probably why the weight broke on me in the first place.

Peace... brotha!

·
Registered
135 Posts
rgoers, Not at you! the "Pro" on the forums...

I would deffinitly find out which weight you want and just buy them, don't risk throwing them off balance and or alter their shape.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup. I'm going to start looking again on eBay. A set of three new weights was going for around $15 before Christmas. That's the cost of ONE weight locally. I was going to buy a spare set, but didn't do it for one reason or another. Now I wish I had gone ahead and just bought them...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts