Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2003 Polaris 800 SKS with 450 miles on it. Plan on using it in Idaho for some hunting adventures in elevations of 2,000-9,000 ft. I'm also a flat lander from Kansas that has zero experience on a snow machine. Looking forward to getting some education about it.

·
Super Moderator
17,171 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The 03 800 had a lot of HP but also was prone to engine issues, most notably the failure of the crankcase/crankshaft and lack of cooling around the VES valves. The SKS has a slightly shorter track and smaller lugs than it's brother RMK, which gives it a bit better manners on the groomed trail but not as much capability off the trail, especially in deep snow. The ski stance is wider on the SKS, which makes it a little harder to sidehill and may not be as good going through tight spaces as the RMK.

I'm not sure what you will be hunting if there's enough snow for a snowmobile. It gets deep fast in some areas of Idaho! I would also make sure what ever it is you plan is permitted, as some types of hunting are not allowed by any motorized vehicle. You probably already knew that ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Have you moved to Idaho or just coming here to hunt? Where in Idaho? I'm in southeast Idaho (Rexburg area) and if you are in this neck of the woods, you'd be more than welcome to join us. We try to go once or twice a week and do mostly off trail stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are coming out after Christmas for a week in the Salmon area. Last year we took wheeled vehicles and couldn't get where we needed to go. This year a few of us have purchased some snowmobiles to get where we need to. I don't think that we will be just out riding for fun but hitting the trails looking for tracks. I do appreciate the invitation though. It seems like everyone we met last year from Idaho is friendly as can be and the country is as pretty as I've seen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts