Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 91 Indy Classic 500, LC will not start. It ran, now it won't. I have tried everything to get it to turn over. Put new gas lines on today, new plugs in. Not sure what else to look for. I am going to try and check for spark tonight or tomorrow, and put some new fresh gas in it. Anything else I should be looking for?

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
compression

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Okay update. Sled started when I changed the plugs. Must have been fouled again. they were very wet. Installed new set, started up. But doesnt want to stay running without me holding the throttle steady. What should I look for next? I have no fuel leaks. Should I check the throttle cable adjustment? Or should I look towards adjusting the carbs? BTW Machine smokes like crazy when it starts and constantly while I hold the throttle. Maybe checking the choke cable adjustment is out of whack. One side is VERY tight and the other is really lose.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay slight update. We rebuilt the carbs, they were fine. no clogging, and everything is in working order. The problem is it is getting to much oil from the oil injection. How can I adjust how much oil to fuel mix it is getting. Is there an adjustment on there somewhere?

·
Registered
47 Posts
are you sure its too much oil or do you need to turn in the air screw 1/4 turn?

·
Live 2 Ride
1,004 Posts
I woul lean towards the mixture screw too, maybe weak spark, not the oil ratio

·
Registered
321 Posts
make sure your oil cable didn't break or come unattached. If this happens the pump goes wide open and dumps oil in like the throttle is wide open all of the time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Cable itself looks fine. No leaks anywhere that we can see. It starts up but immediatly smokes and fills the workshop up. Mt Brother in law whose a diesel mechanix said there is nothing seriously wrong with it, it's just an adjustment somewhere, but he doesn't know enough about snowmobiles to fix it. I will check the air mixture screws this evening.3/4 from seated is what the book says. I will check that out. My neighbour works for Polaris so he is coming by with a trailer to bring it to their shop tomorrow morning to check it out. I just don't have the time or the knowledge to fiddle with it. And if it costs me a couple hundred bucks, atleast it will be running like a top and I can get out and play in all this snow. No sense in it sitting around.

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
On the oil pump lever, there's a mark. On the oil pump body, there is another mark. THe two marks should be aligned at idle and the lever arm should start moving the same time the carb slides do. To adjust the arm, there is a screw-type adjuster with two lock nuts on a bracket on the cable. Loosen the two locknuts, turn the adjuster until the arm and body marks are in alignment, re-tighten the locknuts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Dan, I just noticed that adjustment in my manual. Page 346 I think it was? Something like that. I printed off that page and was going to check that out this evening before I ship it out. Thanks for the info, I am hopeing it is something simple, but it's just frustrating. Atleast I have it in the heated shop now and an work on it a bit more.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I adjusted the oil pump lever. Marks are both lined up now. I also adjusted the idle air screws they were 1 turn out. Still doing the same thing. I am thinking its the choke plungers. Are they suposed to be connected to something in the carb? When we cleaned the carbs, they choke cables looked like they were just sitting in there doing nothing. My choke doesn't seem to do anything at all. and the free play at the carbs is ridiculous.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts