Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a new top end in my old 88 Panther 500, and before I started it for the 1st time, I replaced the headlight bulb. The stinkin' thing fired up first pull, the headlight lit up, and next the sled died. I've had no spark since. Is there a way to test the coil or cdi??? I hate the idea of pouring lots-of-$$$ into this ol' beast and playin' hit & miss with parts. I've already used the little bypass thingy for the throttle sensor. Any help is waaaay appreciated. Doug

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dead AC

How do you test the coil??? Do I simply connect the O-Meter to it and prove that I have a circuit??? Should it measure a higher or lower number?? Thanks !! Doug

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
You can OHM it to make sure it's not open, but there's an actual tester for a coil, any shop should have it. Coils rarely go, I've done 5 times as many CDI's as coils. Try disconnecting the kill switch and key switch first. One or the other could be AFU...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really appreciate the info. If I simply replace the CDI and replace the coil, will that assure spark??? Maybe I just need to stick it in the shop and pay the price. Again.... Thanks!!! Doug

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
There is a trigger coil under the flywheel which tells the CDI when to fire. Try unhooking the kill/key switches first and let us know what happened.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts