Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 1980 el tigre 6000 500cc l/c and cant get spark. Ive replaced spark plugs, got new cdi, tried a different ignition coil, and put on a used magneto from a similar sled. was told this other magneto was good but im not sure, is there any tests i can do to be sure this mag is working properly? And is there any other possibilitys? ive also heard that a bad crank seal could cause this, but that dont make since to me as it has ok compression. Please help me!:confused:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Did you replace the stator or just the mag? I had an 81 6000 and i had the same problem. I had to replace the coils under the flywheel. Try to rule out your switches. There is a 4 prong wire harness that comes out of your engine by the flywheel. Unplug it and turn it 90 degrees then plug it back in. That will overide all of your switches. If you still don't have a spark then you have a problem with the coil, cdi or stator. Sounds like you covered the external coil and the cdi. Those old eltigre's were known for the kill switch failing as well as the key switch. To rule out the key switch just look to see if your lights are trying to light up as try to start it. If the lights are trying to come on as you try and start it then you can rule out the key switch. I can give you ohm's readings for your stator if you would like. I use to tune and race those sleds years ago so feel free to ask anything you want to know about those eltigre 6000's.

·
Registered
25,351 Posts
Start by just unpluging the 4 way coming out of the motor! If stil no spark jump the black and brown wire comeing out of the motor! This will by pass all the klls!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts