Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 1994 artic cat 580 ext mountian cat which I just replaced the throttle cable on. After i fired it up it ran for a few then died. Now it dont have spark i am kinda clueless except maybe the kill switch got messed up when i was working on getting old cable.out of handle bars. Im not a tech by any means but not stupid either soon any help with what to check.or do would be great

·
Super Moderator
17,303 Posts
Does the sled have carbs? Or is it the EFI?

First thing I would try would be to check the tension on your throttle cable. A cable that is too tight or too loose will activate the throttle block safety switches and disable the ignition. Sometimes the small plastic bushings in the throttle flipper (one top, one bottom) can also do that, as well.

If it's carbed and has the dreaded carburetor magnetic safety switches, that could be part of your problem. You can disable that system by locating the wires that go from the carbs to a 4-prong plug. Unplug both carbs and jumper diagonally from one side to the other on the plug. Check for spark. If still no spark, try jumpering the other two diagonally. The jumper wire is bypassing the carb safety switches so you can determine if those are your problem.

On my 1995 550 (580 is similar) there is also a 3-prong connector under the rubber boot around the base of the handle bar assembly. AC actually has a jumper plug for that fitting. You can disconnect that and jumper from the outside to one of the other two (I forget which, and that sled is 40 miles from me). Check again for spark. Jumpering at the handlebars will disable your kill switch, so you will have to use the key to kill the engine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So there is a wire that goes to the side of the carbs on both sides and it is held on by 2 small screws. Are those what you are refering to? If so I actualy just bought 2 new well recondition carbs off eBay and thought they wouldnt work.cause the wire bolt hole are not there. The magnet weights.your talking about are they inside the carbs? And its not efi.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cause when I put the new cable in the little magnet fell out if that is what it is. It only had it in 1 carb. So I dont need that wire on the side of the carb to be hooked up? Cause I'll toss in the other carbs as soon as I get home from.work tommorow and see what happens and if there is spark I'll go with them carbs instead and just remove the wire. I can upload pictures tommorow. If that would.help explain what im talking about better

·
Super Moderator
17,303 Posts
The magnets are inside of both carbs. They work to kill the ignition in the event that the carb slide ices up and sticks open. That will prevent a run-away. The switches in the carbs work with the switches in the throttle. If there's a mis-match where the throttle sees idle but the carb slides are up, the ignition is killed. The adjustment on the magnetic switches is really touchy, which is one of the main reasons people get rid of the system and take their chances about not having a runaway.

If you use the carbs that do not have the magnets, then you need to jumper at the 4 prong plug. If you don't have that jumpered, the sled won't have any spark.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So how do I jump the 4 prong so I can get rid of the magnet carbs? Cause since ive owned it there has only been 1 magnet but it ran like trash. And the other one is in the belly pan which I'm.going to retrieve tonight. So could you explain how i would jump the 4 prong

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
Start by just plugging the 2 wires from the carbs back into each other. Check spark.
Then there is a square 4 prong connector coming from behind the recoil, Unplug it, check spark.
With a jumper wire jump the black and brown wires (leave the 2 yellow alone) check spark.
Being a 94 (transition year) jump or no should give You spark.
Dont start sled, just check!
If you get spark, you will know it is in the kills!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the wire on the carbs have a bracket that screws onto the carbs. Each one has it. So should I tape them together and try it? Not trying to sound dumb which I probly do but I'm 100% clueless when it comes to electrical. I appreciate all the help you habe given and continue to give. Would pictures help so that way you know what exactly im talking about in case I'm not describing it well enough?

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
Dont bother with the carbs themself, just take the 2 wire connectors from the harness and plug them into each other.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That isn't the exact carb but you can see the wire im refering to on the carb is that what your talking about

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I disconect that wire from the harness that is visable then jump the 2 seperated harnesses together?

·
Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
Next to the steering column there should be the other side for those plugs to plug into.

Simply find them and they will accept each other, plug them into each other completing the circuit

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My sled isn't electric start so I have to pull it and I did as you said and it didnt still have spark. The magnet that was in it fell into.belly pan and I cant find the dumb thing will that make a difference?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is the wire that comes off each carb and they connect to that square harness

1 - 20 of 71 Posts