·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 xc500 spark on clutch side not on stater side so is it coil/cdi unit

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yep I would replace plugs, take the spark plug cap off cut back a 1/4" and replace the spark plug cap. You can get those at any auto parts stores just make sure you get the resistor type should be about 3-4 bucks. I keep a pair of those in each snowmobile for the cost and I have used them while out on the trails on mine and friends before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ignition system fires both wires at the same time, so if one side is getting spark and the other is not, I would suspect the wire or the plug boot to wire connection. Check there first...

Welcome to the forum!
I switched from side to side still spark on clutch no spark on stater

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ignition system fires both wires at the same time, so if one side is getting spark and the other is not, I would suspect the wire or the plug boot to wire connection. Check there first...

Welcome to the forum!
Change plugs switched plug wires still fires only on clutch side took the plugs out laid them on top of the motor pull the motor over both plugs spark so now what do I have a week stater for a screwed up CD coil

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Is that one of those where you can replace just the entire plug wire? And according to Polaris browse you can change just the entire wire as it should plug into the cdi. Otherwise time to get out the dmm and start checking. Look at the service manual and find out what the specs should be. Click Polaris then 2001 should be close to the specs you need on that model as it is the full service manual

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that one of those where you can replace just the entire plug wire? And according to Polaris browse you can change just the entire wire as it should plug into the cdi. Otherwise time to get out the dmm and start checking. Look at the service manual and find out what the specs should be. Click Polaris then 2001 should be close to the specs you need on that model as it is the full service manual

Talked to a Polaris service tech and said they don’t even make that CDI box coil combination any more they were really bad for three years and discontinued them and there is no fix you have to buy a used one out there

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
That plug wire is still changeable though. I've changed it on those myself on a XC500 on a 2000 when the wire was falling apart. Still should try it before just buying another CDI. Also check aftermarket every time I've heard you can't get it or its OEM only I laugh because that isn't always the case. I sold Polaris in the '90s and did nothing but parts my entire life and heard it all the time. Kinda like saying small block 350 water pumps are all the same. Heard that one too many times too count.

Seriously for a couple bucks in wire and cap its worth trying if anything they are probably due to be replaced as it is.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
1999-2000 they used them then updated in 2001 to a part number of 2201832. Call the dealer and ask them if the updated number will work if so then update it. Same freaking engine, body style basically everything is the same on those. Maybe the stator is different but if so then you should be able to upgrade that to the new one as well to the new cdi and you have the updated parts they used.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts

Okay as you can see those wires are replaceable and damn 300 bucks screw that noise. For that kind of money I would call the dealer and find out if you can upgrade the stator and cdi to the new style they used

·
Registered
4,167 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
There is even another kit that hooks up different but iirc you can swap it to what the 2001 and up came with. Not 100% positive hence contact the dealer. Yeah for that kind of money I would be looking at salvage yards and facebook.

An example was 2 years ago I was looking for a set of Fox Shocks Xtra-10 everyone wanted 100 bucks if not more for the set found a used set in perfect condition that needed a recharge for 10 bucks for both.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts