Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Indy 500 touring sled stopped running on the trail last night. It was if someone had hit the kill switch but the kill switch did not get touched. The electric start still turns the starter. There is no spark at the plugs. I get a little bit of dim light from the headlights after cranking the starter for 2-3 seconds. Sounds like an electrical problem. Where do I check first?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. I have 2 of these sleds and pulled the CDI off the working sled, installed on the non-working sled and the problem did not change.

·
Certified Mechanic
56 Posts
Sounds like a grounding issue to me. Carefully follow your wires from the kill switch and ignition on down; a wilre may be loose, or the insulation may be worn off causing it to ground. Other problems may be the wires are melted or fused together. Dielelectric grease on the wirin harness should be applied annually to prevent electrical issues. Other than that you can test your ignition coils by testing on another sled. Its rare when they go, but it happens. Absolutely worst case it would be your stator, but try the cheaper route first by testing with a multimeter, or an electrical testing light/probe. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, have not tried that yet. I noticed a large connector with multiple wires by the motor where the pull start cord enters the engine. I am guessing this is what you are referring too. Will the engine potentially run with this disconnected?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts